About Synergy

Talk about Valve games and mods.
Tallfire
prop_physics
prop_physics

About Synergy

Post by Tallfire »

(Just a question of curiosity that I dont think I should post on their actual forums)
Anyone know why Synergy removed so much stuff? Its baffling to me. From a few videos, pictures from Synergy's section on Moddb, and comments from other people it seems that the Synergy team must have wiped out over half of their work and everything they had planned for it when they went on Steamwork support.
I looked it up and after some searching I found on their forums saying that they completely remade the mod and that now there is no way to play the old one. And that the custom stuff they made was illegal (though I don't see how alot of the stuff was)

Basically the question is: Why did they do all that? Synergy looked like so much more fun back then.

[btw for the new people, Greenland (or "stinky pile of poo" if you ever see a post a long time ago) = Syn3rgy ]
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Most content was ripped. So it was illegal. Thus not allowed on Steamworks.
Tallfire
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Tallfire »

Oh. Never seen most of that stuff anywhere else (except for the flare gun and the HLS monsters in teh images). But what about all the coding involved stuff?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Also, I think VOSK, just wanted to head in the direction of a more vanilla campaign experience.

There are quite a few people that dl coop mods for the opportunity to play hl2 etc with some buddies, they probably play and never look at other stuff like custom maps.

Watch these hilarious guys playing Obsidian campaign:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MARINEZX#p/u/7/Y6WyGLw9hss

Thats just part 1! eight parts in total!!! (I laughed my arse of listening to these guys chat whilst playing).

For the majority of gamers, hl2 is nice to co-op through every so often but, it kinda gets boring after a while playing the same maps, especially
where you go through level changes and there being no action for 1-2 maps. Any map even custom can get boring, thats why you just need a huge selection (ala sven co-op & now OC).
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Synergy wanted a more HL2 approach. This was so important to them that they decided to make their mod less fun to do it.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

Vosks words: "I always wanted to let S_y_n_e_r_g_y be a Vanilla HL2 Mod with the feature to play it cooperative, nothing more"

and i do know people that exactly like that (AMT who made the HL2 Campaign GameMode for GMod for example, he couldn't stand OC's custom stuff and went to S_y_n_e_r_g_y lol)
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

omg optional custom stuff that doesn't even affect the campaign, oh no!
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

having nothing special and no custom sutf is kinda boring.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
Ark
Donator
Donator

Post by Ark »

fug4life wrote:Also, I think VOSK, just wanted to head in the direction of a more vanilla campaign experience.
/Agree

That's basically what VOSK said when v11 came out. They wanted to do the mod as similar as possible to a HL2 campaign. And then, people started discussing the max players in a server, when they messed up with them setting it to 10 players.