New Official Steam UI - Beta

Talk about Valve games and mods.
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

New Official Steam UI - Beta

Post by Keychain »

http://www.totalgamingnetwork.com/showt ... ost2685958
Valve has just announced a public beta has just started for the new Steam user interface. As with every beta, you can opt-in to the new UI by going to your Steam settings. The blurb below about the new UI will explain in greater detail on how you can participate.

This opt-in beta is available immediately to all Steam users. If users already have Steam installed on their computer, they can take part in the beta by clicking this link (steam://open/settings) and then selecting "UI Update" under Beta Participation. If they don't have Steam installed, they can download it here (http://store.steampowered.com/). To preview the new Steam client without taking part in the beta, a complete rundown of the new features is available here (http://store.steampowered.com/uiupdate/).

Increasingly the most effective way of reaching new gamers is through the existing players of a game. With the new Steam release, gamers will now be able to see which games their friends have purchased directly within the Steam storefront. 25 million gamers create a highly effective and knowledgeable source of purchase suggestions.

"We made hundreds of changes to the Steam client as a result of customer feedback on the interface, performance, and functionality," said John Cook, Director of Steam Development at Valve. "For example, we swapped out the Internet Explorer rendering engine with WebKit, which gives us a bunch of size, stability and performance benefits. This release of Steam leaves us well prepared for another year of strong growth."

The full list of changes compared to the current non-beta version of Steam can be found below.
Major features:
* Complete overhaul of Steam client UI design to improve discoverability of features and to better expose all the information related to games in your library
* Complete overhaul of in-game overlay UI design to create a richer in-game experience exposing context sensitive information related to the game you are currently playing
* New game details view, presenting a detailed view of all the information for a single game in your library
* New grid view, presenting a graphical view of your game library
* New news page in the store/client/overlay which aggregates from Valve related news sites, official community groups, and third-party gaming news feeds
* New downloads view in the client, making it easier to track your progress downloading new games or game updates
* New Steam store design, including more integrated community features, improved recommendations, and improved video and screenshots viewing (and much more!)

Store details:
* New Steam store/community integration — see what your friends have been buying and playing as you browse the store
* Improved store layout, genre navigation, and genre pages, including more robust navigation per category
* Improved game detail pages, including quick link to demos, inline display of higher resolution game trailers, improved screenshot browser, and improved game recommendations
* New game-specific video page, containing all of a game's trailers in one place, now in higher resolution Flash format
* Improved discoverability of sales and discounts, including prominent shortcuts and consistent store-wide visual presentation for price cuts
* New quick-info tooltips on store home page and genre pages which allow users to read about games before navigating to detail pages
* New search filtering options- search for packs or DLC, easier to use filters for searching by price and metascore, and sort by release date

Client feature details:
* View of your most recently achieved achievements and likely next achievements in the client game details view and in the in-game overlay
* View of friends currently playing a game as well as all friends who sometimes play a game in the per-game details view
* View of related game news in the client game details view and in the in-game overlay
* Clock in the in-game overlay (!)
* User customizable categories assignable per-game, by which the various game library views can now be filtered
* Tracking of last played time for games to show in the client library views
* Sort your games by last date played
* Library list view displays larger graphic, and a new column displaying a game's Steam Cloud state
* New invites section in the friends list UI allowing you to accept or decline invites directly without going to your community control panel
* Cloud support for many non-machine specific local settings such as favorite servers
* Implemented new DirectWrite based font rendering for the client and in-game overlay on Windows 7 or Vista with both SP2 and the "Platform Update" installed. This offers improved pairwise kerning for text layout as well as better anti-aliasing of text on supported platforms.
* Display of total played time in the client game details view and the in-game overlay
* Type to jump support in the games list, grid, and game details views
* Better Steam cloud conflict resolution support, with the ability for users to choose how to resolve conflicts between machines
* Improved forward/backward navigation in the client UI, acting across various different view types (e.g., games list, to community, back to games list)
* New style and layout system for Steam's VGUI UI toolkit, enabling much more complicated flowing layouts. Skins will need major overhauls to be compatible with the new client, but will also have much more power and flexibility available to them via the new .style and .layout files used in the new VGUI code.
* Backup/restore wizard
* Community: all official game avatars in one place, linked from your edit profile page
* New outer glow effect supported when rendering text in VGUI
* Support for alpha blending of gradients and text in VGUI
* Support for many new layout and placement commands in VGUI
* Support for native drop shadow effect on primary Steam windows on Vista and Windows 7

Bug fixes:
* Improved reliability of auto-login to store and community when used in the Steam client
* Improved truncation of long text strings in many places
* Fixed the various UI states and settings to persist across client restart more reliably
* Fixed being unable to reliably delete previously added non-Steam shortcuts from your games list
* Fixed forward/backwards navigation on Community tab getting stuck on redirects
* Many small performance and memory usage improvements
* Improved sorting consistency between views
* Fixed hit areas on friend panel down-arrow affordances to make clicking on them more reliable
* You can now remove a blocked friend without having to unblock the friend first

General improvements:
* Now using a WebKit based rendering engine for the client and in-game overlay web browsing components (replacing Internet Explorer)
* Improved speed of in-game overlay web browser
* Improved search functionality on the Steam news page
* Web pages which use confirm() or alert() calls in javascript no longer break the in-game overlay web browser
Azure Edge
Donator
Donator

Post by Azure Edge »

Yup. Using it right now. It's actually pretty darn sexy.
Image <- Push!
Curious?

Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

using it, and loveing it!
Fire Sniper
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Fire Sniper »

Yeah all I could say is WHOA when I saw it lol
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

ya I tried to join beta steam restarted then connection error, ffs, now it wont start.

:evil:

Opting out of this buggy piece of ****

Trying a ton of fixes right now. none seem to help

on a side note:

System Requirements:

Windows XP, Vista, or 7 . 256 MB RAM
1 Ghz or faster processor . 1GB HD space (recommended)
Internet connection (broadband recommended)

^ Kinda makes old pcs obsolete.

Ok after deleting a load of shit, trying to repair my steam installation, the only thing that sorted me out was this:

steam.exe -clearbeta
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

It's to sexy on my eyes. I just want an easy list like it is now.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

What the frak? I'm happy with my current Steam. I don't want fraking huge images to start my games, this better have a list option.
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

There IS a list option, dummy.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Keychain wrote:There is a list option.
Oh good, at least I can enjoy slightly more normal Steam.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

any reason why my start up has a steam.exe -silent ?

Stealth steam.

Ive never been happy with steam, I use it because I have to.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Steam has its problems, but it's the best we've got.

The beta's OK, but to get a decent view it has to be in full screen.