Great HL2 Mods (besides OC because everyone here knows it)

Talk about Valve games and mods.
MegaSean45
prop_static
prop_static

Great HL2 Mods (besides OC because everyone here knows it)

Post by MegaSean45 »

* Riot Act
* Combine Destiny
* MINERVA
* The Citizen
* DayHard <-------- Rated most funny mod I've ever played
* Rock 24
* Awakening
* City 7: Toronto Conflict
* Mistake of Pythagoras
* HL2: Wars
* Ravenholm
* Eye of the Storm: Episode One
* Dangerous World <---------- I rated my favorite single player mod
* Research and Development
* Off Shore
* Missing Information
* SMOD

That's all for now. I'm gonna search for more mods. My friend, Doctor Hax owns a Half-Life mods online-dictonary: http://halflifemods.wikia.com

I am awaiting some mods to be released:

* Combine Destiny 2
* Eye of the Storm: Episode Two
* Dangerous World 2
* Opposing Force 2
* City 17: Episode One
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

Zombie Master used to be great before it got taken over by those awful server-side RPG mods. The dev team left and made the mod open source a while ago and there's been some mod teams basing stuff off of it, not sure how those turned out.

Empires is a lot of fun, it's a fps/rts hybrid, basically like battlefield 2 where you can build walls/turrets etc.

The Battlegrounds is a mod set during the American revolutionary war. The gamplay by itself isn't very impressive, however there are special linebattle servers where teams are organized by admins into forming lines and firing in sync which are a lot of fun if you can get the hang of it.

Research and Development <- hands down best single player mod out. The puzzles are ingenious and the overall quality is amazing considering that it was made by one person.

Dear Esther is a singleplayer mod that has no combat and is based around exploration, it's very slow paced but has great voice acting and atmosphere. The current release's level design is kinda bland, but the entire mod is currently being overhauled which you might want to wait for. http://www.moddb.com/mods/dear-esther
Last edited by Tysn on Tue May 11, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Human Error was quite fun, they put a lot of effort into it.
MegaSean45
prop_static
prop_static

Post by MegaSean45 »

Why don't you guys put it on the Half-Life Mods Online-Dictionary? Unless you guys don't have a Wikia account.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Tysn wrote:Zombie Master used to be great before it got taken over by those awful server-side RPG mods.
Excactly this is why won't let this crap overtake oc.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Dystopia & Golden Eye Source, o0Oze quality.

And The Hidden, I'd say is pretty professionally made.

And yeah I used to be a big Empires player, started to make my first source map with Empires SDK set-up.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

W0rf0x wrote:
Tysn wrote:Zombie Master used to be great before it got taken over by those awful server-side RPG mods.
The way I look at it, it's server side, so they can do what ever they want(within reason) on their server. Don't like it, don't join the server. People that like it, will join the server.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Gary wrote:
W0rf0x wrote:
The way I look at it, it's server side, so they can do what ever they want(within reason) on their server. Don't like it, don't join the server. People that like it, will join the server.
People will join other servers and complain it doesn't have their fancy gameplay-breaking plugin they love so much, so other server admins will follow and soon most server will run that crap to keep players on their server. That's why it's a problem and that's why we won't let it happen.

You can't play online, you don't know how this shit works.
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

Gary wrote:
W0rf0x wrote:
You'd think it would be this simple, but it's not. What happened with the Zombie Master RPG mod was that servers started using it to draw in new poopsock players who aren't concerned with anything resembling balance, and regular ZM players started leaving because there were fewer and fewer players playing the actual mod. More poopsockers came in to replace them, making a sizable chunk of the ZM public community RPG mod-only players.

The end result of things like this is that it becomes pointless for the developers to even attempt to work on things like balance and gameplay, as it all gets modified by the server-side mods. Intrusive and widespread server-side mods effectively take away creative control from the actual developers once they become prevalent.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.
RocketRunner
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by RocketRunner »

SMOD: Redux and CSS SCI FI 3: Hardwired are pretty good single-player mods.
I usually run from rockets.
Pretty straightforward.
jibber88
Pixel

Post by jibber88 »

Best mod for me are...

Sourceforts- Was better when the kids wernt on so much but still a great game/mod

Empires- Gameplay is never really to much the same like sourceforts, great tactical team based game.

proyect Z- Zombie based rpg with leveling system to help you live through the world infested with zombies. Its still in beta but theres still so much more they can add and are planning on doing so.

im not so much in the single player scene so i don't have anything to say for them.
Supahchikin
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Supahchikin »

I pretty much stopped playing ZM when i discovered a game breaking chat command called /respawn.
Sabre
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Sabre »

With the exception of the grav jump that killed all teamwork, I think the Sven Co-op RP mod was great. Let's face it, in a game where you play the same maps repeatedly without some clear goal, some kind of progression is nice.

It becomes an issue when it starts to really kill the gameplay. The grav jump people would just leave people behind, for example. Although they are arseholes anyway. I like to play with friends online for that very reason.

Anyway. Couple o mods.

Orian is coming out with a new version. Never played it or heard of it before, but people are suddenly going mental over it for some reason.

One I did play play was Smod Troopers
http://www.moddb.com/mods/smod-troopers ... s#imagebox
Nice idea, but is crippled by lag issues. I'm no tech guy, but I'm guessing they have just took Smod and put online in it. Of all the big issues, one minor one that really gets me is the way all the rounds are huge bright orange things that shoot out of your nose. As I said, Im no tech guy (yet), but isn't it trivial to get them to come out of the gun? It is a FPS mod after all.

But for greats, One I really like is swarm.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/swarm3/news
So simple, short, and shallow, but so much fun.
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

I agree with you about Mistake of Pythagoras 100% . If you browse trough my old posts you will find that I got permission from the creator to port MoP and release it with oc...it's just I cant make a damn mapadd that works. :rllymad!:
I know what to do now though, FUG!!! if you would so kindly download Mistake of Pythagoras and see if you can make it 'play nice' with OC. Thst is if you are willing and think you could, you are the mapadd king after all and we sure could use another campain :D

as for mods I love and want.
I love-
HL2: Wars
Ravenholm
Human Error:EP1

I want
City 17: Episode One
SHIFT
HL2: Wars new update
Ravenholm 2 EP2