Half Life: Source as it should of been

Talk about Valve games and mods.
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Re: Half Life: Source as it should of been

Post by Keychain »

You can't kill tentacle monsters at all. The only way you can possibly kill one is the very one that spawns in the facility, in which you kill it by burning it.

Otherwise, if you do damage to them via explosives, they will crawl back into their hole for a few seconds, and then poke back out.
JerC
Donator
Donator

Post by JerC »

I wasn't trolling, I was just asking because I never tried it..
Please don't take my posts before 2013 too seriously. It will be better for both you and I :c
LivingWithGames
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by LivingWithGames »

-=jerC=- wrote:I wasn't trolling, I was just asking because I never tried it..
Me neither,the problem is...

...that I don't have Half Life or Half Life:Source.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

BiElGaMe wrote:

O_O HERETIC!!!!!!!!!! How can play HL2 games and not play the first ones, that are the best?
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

BiElGaMe wrote:

I'm not surprised. They are both the same thing so I recommend getting Half-Life if you want to play the better version, otherwise get the source version since it comes with the mountable content.
LivingWithGames
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by LivingWithGames »

Maestro Fénix wrote: O_O HERETIC!!!!!!!!!! How can play HL2 games and not play the first ones, that are the best?
Not really.Back in the day,wanted the game to play,then I found The Orange Box,contained all the HL2 games,tf2 and portal(NO SHIT SHERLOCK).I got that instead of Half-Life.

Maybe thinking in getting the Whole HL package(op4,blue shift,etc.)
Keychain wrote:
BiElGaMe wrote:

I'm not surprised. They are both the same thing so I recommend getting Half-Life if you want to play the better version, otherwise get the source version since it comes with the mountable content.
Yeah,the original is really better,the Source is nothing but 'shit'.

I remember watching a video of the Apache encounter in HL:S and,killing with the pistol,only takes 2 mags of 17 rounds.The Source version is just easier,I think,has ragdool physics and the graphics are just bad,I mean,could have atleast graphics like in HL2 in 2003.
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Source is terribly outdated. It took them until Portal 2 just to finally add REAL dynamic lighting. Not those 3d shadows that spawn in front of you when you shine a flashlight over a brush, if anything those look worse than not having a shadow at all.

Buuut, Valve still makes the engine look good in their games. But that's probably because their games don't ask for much in terms of scripting and different scenes and graphics.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

DisConnected wrote:Source is terribly outdated. It took them until Portal 2 just to finally add REAL dynamic lighting. Not those 3d shadows that spawn in front of you when you shine a flashlight over a brush, if anything those look worse than not having a shadow at all.

Buuut, Valve still makes the engine look good in their games. But that's probably because their games don't ask for much in terms of scripting and different scenes and graphics.
Tysn/Fug, correct me if i´m wrong.

There´s not dynamic lighting in Portal 2. It uses env_proyectedtexture to simulate it.

Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

DisConnected wrote:Source is terribly outdated. It took them until Portal 2 just to finally add REAL dynamic lighting. Not those 3d shadows that spawn in front of you when you shine a flashlight over a brush, if anything those look worse than not having a shadow at all.

It doesn't "spawn a 3d shadow", it uses the same technique the dynamic shadows are done with in portal 2.
Maestro Fénix wrote:

Tysn/Fug, correct me if i´m wrong.

There´s not dynamic lighting in Portal 2. It uses env_proyectedtexture to simulate it.
Pretty much every game uses projectors for dynamic lighting and shadows, so it IS dynamic lighting.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

W0rf0x wrote:
Maestro Fénix wrote: Tysn/Fug, correct me if i´m wrong.

Pretty much every game uses projectors for dynamic lighting and shadows, so it IS dynamic lighting.

AMmm. So is considered dynamic light. Ok.

DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

W0rf0x wrote:

It doesn't "spawn a 3d shadow", it uses the same technique the dynamic shadows are done with in portal 2.
I don't know how Source does it since I'm not a tech geek. All I know is that the dynamic lighting that Source has with the flashlight does not look right to me.

Say you have a car that's near 3 feet away from a wall. You shine your flashlight on the car and a dynamic shadow appears right? Well, to me the shadow looks 3d, as if it's actually a sprite that's coming out from the back of the car. It doesn't look like the shadow of the car is drawn on the wall, but just turning while you turn in mid air. Whatever it is, it looks really bad. Env_projectedtexture (or whatever it's called) draws the shadows on the wall, like dynamic lighting should be done. Portal 2 does that too (or so I think). Other realistic games also draw the shadows on the walls with their flashlight, not have a 3d one jump around.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

it DOES draw the shadow on the wall, the flashlight IS an env_projected_texture, and i honestly can't confirm your "flashlight theory" there because it looks fine to me.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Shadowmapping(that stuff that is spewed out of a env_projectedtexture used ever since HL2:EP2); is basically a image-based approach that takes the light's view and any geometry that the light can't see is assumed to be in shadow, this information is loaded to a depth texture(a texture were differences in color represent distance from the light). Then the shadows are projected onto the scene during one of the rendering passes. This is the most basic form, using other methods based on this(PSSM, CSM; both relocate detail in a scene relative to the players perspective so that shadow detail is not wasted on distance objects) you can even use it for a directional light such as a sun.

Pretty much every game has this for real dynamic shadows(fake being RenderToTexture which give chosen objects in the world their own shadow, new games now allow them to change shape and direction based on nearby or dominant lights, Unreal and Halo3+ are a good example of this). Some other games (Doom3, Quake 4, ETQW and Fear) use stencil shadows, which are extremely accurate and don't surfer from artifacts like ShadowMapping does, sadly though they are a geometry based approach, not image based like ShadowMapping so Stencil shadows eat up your filtrate and slow down when casting the shadow of a complicated mesh.

Wait, what was I trying to do again...
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Gary wrote:Shadowmapping(that stuff that is spewed out of a env_projectedtexture used ever since HL2:EP2); is basically a image-based approach that takes the light's view and any geometry that the light can't see is assumed to be in shadow, this information is loaded to a depth texture(a texture were differences in color represent distance from the light). Then the shadows are projected onto the scene during one of the rendering passes. This is the most basic form, using other methods based on this(PSSM, CSM; both relocate detail in a scene relative to the players perspective so that shadow detail is not wasted on distance objects) you can even use it for a directional light such as a sun.

Pretty much every game has this for real dynamic shadows(fake being RenderToTexture which give chosen objects in the world their own shadow, new games now allow them to change shape and direction based on nearby or dominant lights, Unreal and Halo3+ are a good example of this). Some other games (Doom3, Quake 4, ETQW and Fear) use stencil shadows, which are extremely accurate and don't surfer from artifacts like ShadowMapping does, sadly though they are a geometry based approach, not image based like ShadowMapping so Stencil shadows eat up your filtrate and slow down when casting the shadow of a complicated mesh.

Wait, what was I trying to do again...
I was about to think of something witty to say like, "You were about to say all of that in a way that makes some damn sense," or the classic, "You were about to translate all of that into English," but then I thought it would be easier to go with a more direct approach. So here we go:

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

I could go on and on about dynamic shadows... but no...

Simplest way I can say it:

Env_projectedtexture = A light that uses a texture to store shadow information in real time.

HL2:EP2 used env_projectedtexture for the flashlight and some GMAN scenes. Now as of the engine update, all half life games use it for flashlights(no idea about HL1).

Left 4 Dead(2, maybe 1) uses env_projectedtextures for flashlights, muzzle flashes and that light shinning down on you during player interactions(Healing or when an enemy grabs you). There is never more then one active(for example: muzzle flashes deactivate the flashlight for the duration of the flash).

Portal 2 appears have improved precision of their shadow texture. Portal 2 uses env_projectedtextures for the lighting of some rooms and Wheatley's flashlight. Never more then one at a time is ever active, trying to turn one on will turn off the one that is already on.

This is about as dumbed down as I can get it, hell, I though the chunk of text I wrote before was simple enough...