fastdl

Server Help/Discussion.
DNsatan
Vertex
Vertex

fastdl

Post by DNsatan »

I'm setting up a fastdl server and I was just wondering other than the maps, textures, models and sounds we have on the server and the 1s each map uses is there anything else I need to add to the fastdl server?

also is there a way to compress the sounds, textures and models all by running 1 lil file other than doing them 1 by 1?
or can I just copy the textures, models and sounds over to the fastdl uncompressed and it will send them out?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Hmm, basically what ever is not packed into the map will most likely need to be on the fastdl, though this statement is not entirely true as I think texts like:merchant, modify, (maybe cfg and briefing I cant remeber) can just be on the server. but certainly stuff like .res files will need to be.

apart from bspbz2 zipping or w/e its called there isn't much else in the way of compression, but I'm also just learning about some of this stuff.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

It's not required to bzip2, but I'd recommend to.
For once it will be less to dl for the clients since the files will be compressed, and 2nd, source will always try to download files in .bz2 first, so when you upload them uncompressed, there will be another delay caused by clients having to wait for the 404 response from the webserver for every file that's not .bz2.

Also you can zip multiple files by using wildcards. (like bzip2 c:path/*)
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

multiple zipping with wildcards* :shock:

Informative, thanks. I gotta start doing this!
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DNsatan
Vertex
Vertex

Post by DNsatan »

well the maps are gonna be bziped but some of the maps have been in the map packs and I didn't really wanna be doing all the etxtures and soudns 1 by 1

wildcards seems like it could be handy for doing what I need any info on it or a guide how to do it would be great since this is my first time doing something like this
fug4life wrote:Hmm, basically what ever is not packed into the map will most likely need to be on the fastdl, though this statement is not entirely true as I think texts like:merchant, modify, (maybe cfg and briefing I cant remeber) can just be on the server. but certainly stuff like .res files will need to be.

apart from bspbz2 zipping or w/e its called there isn't much else in the way of compression, but I'm also just learning about some of this stuff.
yeah I wasn't to sure myself about the cfg and briefing files w0rf0x do I need these on the fastdl server?

also are .ain files needed on the fastdl server?
Dr.Stinglock
Donator
Donator

Post by Dr.Stinglock »

I used sourceRSC for another mod a few years ago and found it to be pretty reliable once it was setup correctly.

Not sure how well it would work with OC but it pretty much automated the whole process for me last time I used it.
Jill
Pixel

Re: fastdl

Post by Jill »

well fast dl got some glitched pic inside so it danger to make a server that with fast dl
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Not really, unless you have a bad connection to it.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

Jill wrote:well fast dl got some glitched pic inside so it danger to make a server that with fast dl
what? can someone translate into proper english? (hint: try to write in proper english or you will have me aginst you as I hate that, I'm not an native english speaker too and are able to write it so that most people are able to understand it!)

also, I COULD provide a shared fastdownload address with automated bspzipping etc. if there are enaugh people willing to support it (you will get access to upload files and so on) the server would be located in Germany, but that shouldn't that much of a problem in most cases as the connection is pretty good (Hetzner anyone?), might be a good thing for homehosted solutions like Keyfox ;P

just let me know about it (I don't feel like managing one by myself for my servers etc. not only because I simply can't keep up with the amount of content but also because I'm lazy)