People cannot join my server (I followed the tutorial)

Server Help/Discussion.
Captain Planet
Pixel

People cannot join my server (I followed the tutorial)

Post by Captain Planet »

So here's the dilema...

First, all of my ports are forwarded. My friends have no problem joining my server (non-dedicated) in Synergi, but when I create one in OC they can't for some reason. Unlike Synergi, OC doesn't give you the option to select for it to be either Internet or LAN as you know, so you have to type in sv_lan 0 and such. Even after entering that in as well as "heartbeat," "retry" and then changing the level as instructed in the tutorial, they still cannot join when they try to do so by going into console and typing: connect (my ip here) - which like I said, works in Synergi.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Dr.Stinglock
Donator
Donator

Post by Dr.Stinglock »

1) Can you join it as a lan game? (I'm assuming you're on the same network). It should allow you to connect, if not, you'd probably want to get this working

2) Why are they joining via console? It should show up on the master list, if not, it sounds like either your OB server files are either out of date or port forwarding isn't done correctly

I haven't actually used the non-dedicated oc server but if it was dedicated those would be the first questions I'd ask.
Captain Planet
Pixel

Post by Captain Planet »

Dr.Stinglock wrote:1) Can you join it as a lan game? (I'm assuming you're on the same network). It should allow you to connect, if not, you'd probably want to get this working
No, they're joining over the internet, not LAN. Thing is, I can see my server listed in the LAN tab after doing the essential steps such as sv_lan 0.
Dr.Stinglock wrote:2) Why are they joining via console? It should show up on the master list, if not, it sounds like either your OB server files are either out of date or port forwarding isn't done correctly
Like any other game, if you start a listening server then they usually have to connect manually directly to your computer with "connect (IP here)." It's the only thing that works with the other games.

I just cannot understand why I can get them to join my server with any other source game except this one.
Dr.Stinglock
Donator
Donator

Post by Dr.Stinglock »

Captain Planet wrote:
Dr.Stinglock wrote:1) Can you join it as a lan game? (I'm assuming you're on the same network). It should allow you to connect, if not, you'd probably want to get this working
No, they're joining over the internet, not LAN. Thing is, I can see my server listed in the LAN tab after doing the essential steps such as sv_lan 0.
I asked if you can join it as a lan game, not how they were joining it. Thing is, you should be able to join it on the lan tab at the very least. Once again It should allow you to connect, if not, you'd probably want to get this working

Captain Planet wrote:
Dr.Stinglock wrote:2) Why are they joining via console? It should show up on the master list, if not, it sounds like either your OB server files are either out of date or port forwarding isn't done correctly
Like any other game, if you start a listening server then they usually have to connect manually directly to your computer with "connect (IP here)." It's the only thing that works with the other games.

I just cannot understand why I can get them to join my server with any other source game except this one.
Aaahhh, so the reason they are joining via console is because it's not showing up on the master list. Thanks for clarifying that.

Probably want to make sure your not running on the same port as your synergy or other source game listen servers I'd guess then. Other than that, I can't help you as I mainly stick to dedicated servers and stay as far away from listen servers as I possibly can.
Neliel
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Neliel »

If it's showing up on Lan, a quick fix would be to use Hamachi which simulates you and all of your friends being on a Lan connection.
Captain Planet
Pixel

Fixed!

Post by Captain Planet »

So as it turns out, my firewall was somehow blocking it. Once disabled, people can connect. If I want to keep my firewall on though, what do I need to add as an exception? Steam, HL2, and the forwarded ports are already added as exceptions. Does something from the mod itself need to be added?
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Assuming you installed Steam to the default location, you will need to add this to the list of exceptions:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<your account name here>\source sdk base 2007\hl2.exe