creating LAN server: server not visible or connectable

Server Help/Discussion.
tNp
Vertex
Vertex

creating LAN server: server not visible or connectable

Post by tNp »

My brothers and I downloaded OC 1.35 to play through the HL2 campaign together at LAN parties. Then we found a bunch of cool new maps to play, and were looking forward to a lot of fun.

The first night we installed the game, it worked fine. One of us hosted a LAN server (sv_lan 1), and everyone joined the server, and then we played through the canals level of HL2, and it was a lot of fun.

We tried to play again a couple days later, but when we tried to find the server one of us hosted on the LAN, there was nothing visible. The server wasn't listed under friends or internet either. Connecting directly through the console did not work. Changing sv_lan to 0 didn't work and the server did not show up anywhere that way either.

We can all play individually, but that sort of defeats the purpose of everyone playing together.

Firewalls have all allowed the game through, we can all play CSS together, but no matter who hosts the LAN server, nobody can see it in the "join a server" list or join it directly.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Are we missing something obvious?

I searched and looked through the wiki, but didn't see anything relevant. Thanks.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Sometimes restarting the server once helps. Also try these commands:

sv_lan 0, heartbeat, net_start then changelevel.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
tNp
Vertex
Vertex

Post by tNp »

fug4life wrote:Sometimes restarting the server once helps. Also try these commands:

sv_lan 0, heartbeat, net_start then changelevel.
Okay, I know what sv_lan and changelevel do but what do the others do?
Secone
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Secone »

Heartbeat is a ping sent to the Steam servers when hosting your own server. It tells them your IP, amount of players, ping time, etc. This is usually not required, multiplayer or other, because it automatically runs the command every 30 seconds or so.

lolololocopypaste
tNp
Vertex
Vertex

Post by tNp »

Secone wrote:Heartbeat is a ping sent to the Steam servers when hosting your own server. It tells them your IP, amount of players, ping time, etc. This is usually not required, multiplayer or other, because it automatically runs the command every 30 seconds or so.

lolololocopypaste

When I do heartbeat, nothing happens that I see. No errors, nothing logged in the console. I assume this means it is operating correctly?
Secone
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Secone »

Yeah, it doesn't say anything when you do that. Also, would your ports/firewalls/whatever be affecting anything?
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

I have only one question before I can help:

Are you using a cracked HL2?

Because you will have practically no support here, whether it is LAN on No Steam online
:nyoron:
tNp
Vertex
Vertex

Post by tNp »

Ny wrote:I have only one question before I can help:

Are you using a cracked HL2?

Because you will have practically no support here, whether it is LAN on No Steam online

By cracked you mean an illegal copy that I didn't pay for?

I don't steal, my copies of HL2, EP1, EP2, etc. are all DVD copies.
tNp
Vertex
Vertex

Post by tNp »

So any ideas why we can't see or connect to each other's LAN servers?

First game worked fine (each non-server player crashed several times and had to re-join, but always worked fine). Two or three days later, we can't see each other as a server (but can host CSS server and play together just fine).

We can see internet servers just fine, just not each others (whether LAN or not).

The correct file was added to the firewall exception list when OC first started up after installing.