Server crash problem - Direct precache of NPC_electro4

Server Help/Discussion.
Misfire
Polygon
Polygon

Server crash problem - Direct precache of NPC_electro4

Post by Misfire »

Hey guys,

I need some help, I've had this issue for a really long time now, but I've only just decided to post about it now (dunno why). But when everytime my server tries to play either oc_warmachine or coop_missile_silo_, it causes the server to crash and cause an ed_alloc: no free edicts.

I have no idea what the issue is, it crashes on a fresh install vanilla as well. I've also tried messing around with num_edicts setting to no avail. In addition, I have also set playercount to 32 to increase edicts available as well as setting it to a low number. I"m stumped because the map loads fine on my client and I remember some servers playing it just fine. These are the only two maps that cause this problem for me.

[ChenZen.org] Obsidian Conflict NYC | EP1/EP2 | FAST-DL
96.242.154.6:27017
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Re: Server crash problem - Direct precache of NPC_electro4

Post by TESLA-X4 »

This problem can occur if you have server plugins that spawn entities, since these will typically be competing with the already heavy map overhead for edicts. Push things too far, and you get a nice little engine error popup. Raising the playercount too far also increases the likelihood of running into the edict limit since the server reserves more edict slots in advance (also factor in the weapons of all players, which are each individual edicts). It all adds up very quickly. There's little that can be done about this, since the limit is defined in the engine (and as modders, we can't change that).
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
Misfire
Polygon
Polygon

Re: Server crash problem - Direct precache of NPC_electro4

Post by Misfire »

TESLA-X4 wrote:This problem can occur if you have server plugins that spawn entities, since these will typically be competing with the already heavy map overhead for edicts. Push things too far, and you get a nice little engine error popup. Raising the playercount too far also increases the likelihood of running into the edict limit since the server reserves more edict slots in advance (also factor in the weapons of all players, which are each individual edicts). It all adds up very quickly. There's little that can be done about this, since the limit is defined in the engine (and as modders, we can't change that).
Thanks, that explains a lot. Best thing to do I guess is to remove those maps.
[ChenZen.org] Obsidian Conflict NYC | EP1/EP2 | FAST-DL
96.242.154.6:27017