Lighting Preview in Episode 2 SDK update.

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Lighting Preview in Episode 2 SDK update.

Post by skidz »

So we are getting lighting preview in Hammer with the Episode 2 SDK update. Any speculations on how it will look? I am just worried it will be a slow compile, or Valve are just designing it to use dynamic shadows. Is Valve slowly moving away from Lightmaps? The Episode 2 engine sure looks like they are taking the first steps. Hybrid lightmap and dynamic lighting.
Tono-Tako
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Re: Lighting Preview in Episode 2 SDK update.

Post by Tono-Tako »

skidz wrote:So we are getting lighting preview in Hammer with the Episode 2 SDK update. Any speculations on how it will look? I am just worried it will be a slow compile, or Valve are just designing it to use dynamic shadows. Is Valve slowly moving away from Lightmaps? The Episode 2 engine sure looks like they are taking the first steps. Hybrid lightmap and dynamic lighting.
post this in hl2world.
http://www.hl2world.com/bbs/3d-lightpre ... 44a4653ad7
skidz wrote: Hybrid lightmap and dynamic lighting.
i like how it sounds.
Vote for obsidian conflict in moddb
One click a day doesnt hurt your finger
Deathy
npc_metropolice
npc_metropolice

Post by Deathy »

Some informations, how it will work:
lighting preview has been working in the latest software versions for a long time now. Spoke with one of the guys doing the Source version of Dark Messiah last fall and he confirmed that they used it in the studio and described it a bit for me.

Apparently you line the 3D view up to exactly where you want the preview, press some sort of button, and bang, you have your real lighting preview a hot second later. After you've taken in the view, once you start to move your position in the 3D world again the lighting effect is lost. Still pretty damned cool I must say, you just have to set up the view each time.
Source: http://interlopers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18327
oc_28-seconds-later_b2 (90% - on halt)
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

That's cool, Valve I take it all back, forgive me.... :notworthy:
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

fug4life wrote:That's cool, Valve I take it all back, forgive me.... :notworthy:
I bet when you press the lighting preview button, it will not work or crash hammer XD
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

october 9th please
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Deathy wrote:Some informations, how it will work:
lighting preview has been working in the latest software versions for a long time now. Spoke with one of the guys doing the Source version of Dark Messiah last fall and he confirmed that they used it in the studio and described it a bit for me.

Apparently you line the 3D view up to exactly where you want the preview, press some sort of button, and bang, you have your real lighting preview a hot second later. After you've taken in the view, once you start to move your position in the 3D world again the lighting effect is lost. Still pretty damned cool I must say, you just have to set up the view each time.
Source: http://interlopers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18327
Thats excellent! Cant wait for that, no more compiling constantly to see how your lighting looks.
Gandorques Hikla
Entity Master
Entity Master

Post by Gandorques Hikla »

I just hope the map will compile the Rad when you press the lightning preview. xD

Would be really nice, especially for me, I dont like playing with light, because of the dozens of recompiles just to see how bad it looks.
Thats the reason why I create so much Outdoor maps btw. xD
Don´t feed the Graphic Whores!
Power-Mad
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Power-Mad »

Yeah, I really hope it includes texture based lights. WOuld suck if it didn't as those are what I need to expirament with a lot.