Mapping Quality

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
Xesum

Post by Xesum »

OH MY GOD

This guy has not critisised Vasilis maps!

http://www.obsidianconflict.com/forums/ ... php?t=1676

Play this, then if you do not moan, OH MY GOD!

:)
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

I do actualy follow most of his 10 rules, surprise surprise.
EmptyShadow
Polygon
Polygon

Post by EmptyShadow »

I'm glad to see many of you agree.
And I did go overboard on swearing, my apologies.
The two things I most hate about OC maps is the terrible displacements, and NPC combat. Understandably NPC combat can be difficult, especially when multiple players are on a server, but please, handing us a pistol and telling us to kill the antlion hordes is what OC mappers are often doing, spread our weapons out, but don't overuse them, make each weapon special, not something we can have a throwaway attitude for, I realise the sniper rifles ammunition amount is a little odd, but who carries around 400 Sniper Rifle bullets? NPCs are just too powerful, combine NPC strengths and weaknesses to make difficult interesting combat. Zombies from the sides of the building, Combine from the roof! And on displacements, they really are terrible in OC maps, if you don't know how to make nice looking displacements, read this tutorial my friend made:

http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/show ... p?t=363128

And yes, I've dabbled into source. Y'see the problem is, I always give up on projects halfway through, I kinda get bored of em...
Always
Spawn 100 Zerglings in your base

Preserve Trigger
Power-Mad
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Power-Mad »

A lot of the maps you are seeing are not from OC mappers. There was a rather large mess of old half life 2 deathmatch maps being put on the servers and a bunch of old JS maps being put everywhere.

Personally, I would be a whole lot happier with these maps if they were properly lit and had proper cubemaps. I dunno how the mapper ever let a map release with a skyblue glowo n everything shiney in a pitch black room. I don't care much about looking fabulous, I just want mappers to put an honest effort forward, perfecting their gamepaly and doing what's nessessary of them.

This is my latest screenshot of a project I've had in developement since I first learned how ot make a brush in hammer:
Other than I havn't placed proper cubemaps around yet, I believe this follows most of your rules in visuals and oney ou play the gmaeplay, I beleive it plays much like you described there.
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

EmptyShadow wrote:I'm glad to see many of you agree.
And I did go overboard on swearing, my apologies.
The two things I most hate about OC maps is the terrible displacements, and NPC combat. Understandably NPC combat can be difficult, especially when multiple players are on a server, but please, handing us a pistol and telling us to kill the antlion hordes is what OC mappers are often doing, spread our weapons out, but don't overuse them, make each weapon special, not something we can have a throwaway attitude for, I realise the sniper rifles ammunition amount is a little odd, but who carries around 400 Sniper Rifle bullets? NPCs are just too powerful, combine NPC strengths and weaknesses to make difficult interesting combat. Zombies from the sides of the building, Combine from the roof! And on displacements, they really are terrible in OC maps, if you don't know how to make nice looking displacements, read this tutorial my friend made:

http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/show ... p?t=363128

And yes, I've dabbled into source. Y'see the problem is, I always give up on projects halfway through, I kinda get bored of em...
I do quite agree with your points on a lot of maps being played these days, but as Power-Mad stated, a lot of the maps you are seeing are not from OC mappers, but have been ported from poorly constructed HL2: DM coop maps.

Also, rather than rant on and on about how horrible the maps are, I decided to make something better. I'm currently working on a large-scale co-op story - Return to City 17. PM me if you'd like to playtest the two maps I've semi-finished - it might change your opinion about all OC maps.
Current projects: Return to City 17 and Rising Dead
Also, check out my Blag: http://daman-amappersworld.blogspot.com/
EmptyShadow
Polygon
Polygon

Post by EmptyShadow »

Thanks for the offer, I'd be glad to help.
And if I had the skill and staying power I'd work on maps too. I'm just not cut out for mapping, yet.

I was a little overthetop in my first post, but I'd gotten sick of all this, and it all came out a bit nasty :roll:

I knew many OC maps were ports, but I didn't realise so many were, nonetheless, if you do port a map, add a little bit of stuff to it, and make sure you get your cubemaps n lighting done right eh?

Oh Power-Mad your map is lookin kickass ^^

Actually. Someone should make a map where zombies come at your building from the bottom, and combine drop from the roof... making interesting combat ideas, such as leading the two together, maybe you need to make a timer, until "Da Choppa!" arrives?
Always
Spawn 100 Zerglings in your base

Preserve Trigger