Requesting vmf of oc_docks

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
Jojoboy
Polygon
Polygon

Requesting vmf of oc_docks

Post by Jojoboy »

I know this is unorthidox for many reasons (especially since I've been on this forums for only a week), but oc_docks is way too hard and has too many glitches to be playable. It's my favorite map because of the crane, but its too difficult to find two people that know how to use it well.

I'd like the vmf so I can tweak it quite a bit including a bridge across the two crane areas, getting rid of the kill trigger the player when he falls, and getting rid of the teleport that puts everything in one inconveniant area (which gets everything stuck together anyways).

I know the team was probably planning to fix it and release it later, but I'm impatient and would rather just tweak it myself. All credit of course goes to the mod and the original map author.

Some pictures another maps I've worked on to prove that I know how to use Hammer:

Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

PM the kid who made it.

I mean , author. :wink:
[JSC]megabyteman
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by [JSC]megabyteman »

Fire_cube wrote:PM the kid who made it.

I mean , author. :wink:
I request that you please stop all attempts to start up trouble. Thank you.

And as for the map:

On the original "js" dock maps, the floor always has killed players when they have fallen into it. After all, it is toxic waste.

The cranes are meant to be apart since it is the pilot of the first crane to carry the crate of people to the second crane, which carries whoever survived to the last platform.

This is how it's always been. It's not perfect, but it was fine on [JSC]'s DM server.
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

[JSC]megabyteman wrote:
After all, it is toxic waste.
No. It's a flat brush with a green texture and a trigger_hurt with an insane damage value , with one or two ambient_generics.
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Scrap »

Fire_cube wrote:
[JSC]megabyteman wrote:
After all, it is toxic waste.
No. It's a flat brush with a green texture and a trigger_hurt with an insane damage value , with one or two ambient_generics.
:o lol dont ruin for the rest of us. Soon youl regret starting mapping when you notice you arent playing any mods anymore but watching how well someone has done his maps lighting or merging some texture, then youl curse someone for your death because you werent paying attention, but soon after you notice how well your blood reflects on the texture that is cubemapped.
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Re: Requesting vmf of oc_docks

Post by Scrap »

Oh and about this post, how old are you man? no offense but didnt you get the point of the map?
Jojoboy wrote:It's my favorite map because of the crane, but its too difficult to find two people that know how to use it well.
i have never ever seen someone who dosent know how to use the crane and if some tker/newbie would jump in you could just kick him from the server
Jojoboy wrote:a bridge across the two crane areas
thats the core gameplay of the map of having to use game phyisics to get across
Jojoboy wrote:getting rid of the kill trigger the player when he falls
well if you get rid of it how would the people down there get up again? they would be stuck and if you would add a ramp to get up it would totaly ruin the map because it would be too easy to complete

but if the mapper allows you to fix his map you could just do another version of it, that wouldnt be bad and it could become famous aswell ^^ just as dust2 is more popular nowardays than dust
localhost0512
Polygon
Polygon

Post by localhost0512 »

agree with Scrap
[JSC][GU]PREDATOR
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by [JSC][GU]PREDATOR »

I don't think he will give it to you. Also there are vortigaunts on that map when you look at its model hammer crashes.
Jojoboy
Polygon
Polygon

Re: Requesting vmf of oc_docks

Post by Jojoboy »

Scrap wrote:Oh and about this post, how old are you man? no offense but didnt you get the point of the map?
18, and the point of the map is to use the cranes to get across, forcing the players to co-operate more if they want to get across. This I understand completely.
Scrap wrote: I have never ever seen someone who dosent know how to use the crane and if some tker/newbie would jump in you could just kick him from the server
It's always a great thing to get three players across in a single crate from the crane 1 area, only to get one of them immediately killed by a vortiguant, and the next one crushed by the crate that crane two dropped onto him accidentally. Finally when crane 2 figures out what he's doing, he carries the third guy over, only he gets flattened by the train across the way because he's never seen the miracle of getting that far before. It's always good to get so far and have to start over completely because of those little mistakes. I think it's somewhat nicer to have a "bridge" cover that gap of having to get people across from crane 1 to crane 2 that says "hey, you managed to do this pain-in-the-ass task of not killing your ally with physics, so how bout not having to do that mundane task again :D?"
Jojoboy wrote:a bridge across the two crane areas
When I said "bridge" I didn't mean physical bridge that lets the player completely skip a whole part of the map. I meant a bridge made later on between two areas so that the player doesn't have to take the long dull journey from spawning to surviving the same crane twice. A lot of your maps have teleports that the player activates by pressing a button, that's basically a bridge between two gaps from spawn to the area of action. Why can't this map cover those gaps?
Scrap wrote: well if you get rid of [the kill trigger] how would the people down there get up again?
Ladders. Ladders activated by the pull of a switch. And that is my bridge. There's already a ladder object near crane 1, it just needs to be usable. Once a player gets across to crane two, he can pull a switch which activates another ladder so everyone can just run across the former instadeath zone and get on with the game at crane two.

It's hard to describe what I want to do in words, but it's not that hard to do. As for getting the map author's permission, this is the first place I've seen this map. I thought the author was here. Contact information please?

As for the vortigaunt model crashing Hammer, you might want to try this thread: http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=vie ... d=993948#2
[JSC][GU]PREDATOR
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

If joe wants to change the map let him do it himself, don't change it for him just because you don't like it, like eX made oc_bunker_b4 even tho its exactly the same as b3.
Jojoboy
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Jojoboy »

Eh... our loss.

It would be nice to get his email so I could ask his permission, or, as so kindly put, ask him to "do it himself."
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

You can change it using map scripts, but currently joe is the holder of the source.
[JSC][GU]PREDATOR
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Lol gmod 8, you must have been doing this for a while...
Jojoboy
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Jojoboy »

Lol... yeah. I haven't been releasing anything for a long while. I just ripped those pics from an old thread I used to show off that map. It is my map though (just wish I had more recent pics of it to show >_<)

Eh... I thought about it and realized that as much as I'd like to see the map redone, I really don't want to negotiate permission to someone else's stuff when I could just make my own.
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Scrap »

aww damn, you seem like a decent mapper ^^. sry for my kinda offensive comments before, you seem to know what your doing. I hope you could make a diffrent version to the current map