Squad Command of npc_citizen

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Squad Command of npc_citizen

Post by shiftey »

How exactly does this work? Will the npc_citizens follow whatever player gives them orders or does only one player get squad leader status?

If only one player can give a squad orders, how can you switch it to another player and what determines which player on the server is given command of the rebel squad?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

This is a bit of a mystery,

Some people think its the first player that joins, or could be the second player as then the game effectively becomes multiplayer.
Or if no other players are in the same vis_leaf (but then on DaMaNs return to c17 showd this isnt the case).

Who knows, but using the wildcard (*) for activator may help i.e

!activator*
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

Like fug said I had always thought it was the first player that joined that was given the command status however r2c17 showed me different.

However I have had a theory that worked in oc_warmachine where the rebel's AI worked on the first sighting of "Gordon Freeman" allowed that player to become their squad commander, although I am not sure this works in r2c17
:nyoron:
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Well if that's the case, then I will have to have the team choose who they want as squad leader of the rebels using !activator like fug said.

Now my problem is determining how to get players to vote for who the SL should be. This is a very minuet part of the map so I don't want big retarded signs and stuff, more along the lines of something realistic. A hud vote system would be awesome but that doesnt look like its going to happen soon.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I'd recommend whipping up a test map that you can go online with somebody, before you get too deep.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

This feature is something OC has always lacked. Setting up your own system by for instance telling npcs to follow you when you press 'use' on them is a good way to make player squads.

The system valve has relies on player index 1 I believe, and the hud element isn't per player either.