Map Prefix suggestion!

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
Rufus
Polygon
Polygon

Map Prefix suggestion!

Post by Rufus »

Okay, so, this isn't really that necessary, but it just seems to make sense to me.

Now, OC is a great Co-op modification. Obviously we (or most of us) enjoy it, else we wouldn't be here..
But something I truly love about OC is it's flexibility. One map you're peacefully growing bananas, the next you're fighting off zombies with nothing but a crowbar, then finally you're shooting at Combine APCs from a train.
It's great fun. But, about a week ago, the thought struck me that Obsidian conflict isn't just great when working with other people, but it's also great when working against them.

So, you might be wondering here: Why not just use HL2:DM?
Simple. More than just the inclusion of NPCs, OC has a lot to offer.
OC co-operatively is more than just Half Life 2 with more than one person (unlike some mods that we shall not name here).
OC counter-operatively is similar, in that it's not just DM with NPCs - It's much more. We've already seen how mouldable OC is in the hands of a skilled mapper, this is no different between the Co-operative and the counter-operative.
This is why, with my limited skill, I'm trying to create a small collection of Teamplay maps.

This is where I get to the point!
I suggest that Obsidian Conflict has two map prefixes. oc_<mapname> for standard maps, and rvb_<mapname> for maps that have -active- counter-operative gameplay. (So, maps like Kake would be oc_, because there's..Well.. No action.)

Finally! -
My mapping skills may be utterly terrible, but I'm hoping this idea will be helpful in being able to define map content from the server browser if/when people actually make these sorts of maps.
...And sorry for the wall of text.

(PS: Don't go too too hard on my newbish crazyness... Yes, I am pulling the newbie card.)
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

pvp maps already use the prefix oc_vs.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Rufus, you're talking in a way like you're trying to sell me OC.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

W0rf0x wrote:pvp maps already use the prefix oc_vs.
Crap, I need to change Oc_Oasis to Oc_vs_Oasis... as it is team play(two player teams against one another), though the players can buy NPCs with there points(Red team buys a turret, then the turret will fight for red team and give them points).
Rufus
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Rufus »

W0rf0x wrote:pvp maps already use the prefix oc_vs.
Ooh! That works just as well. :P