main menu background map

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
TheBirdman
Vertex
Vertex

main menu background map

Post by TheBirdman »

ok, so i openned up console right after i started up oc 1.35 and i noticed the last two lines were something about a missing map. i think they were like this:

Code: Select all

map oc_background.bsp not found
so this got me thinking, could we rig up a background map sort of like in the half life 2 series? i know it is just a small .bsp with some npcs (walking people and pidgeons ect.) it dosnt make startup time much longer, as long as it is small.

... idk maybe i should post this in requests...
Game Zombie
Pixel

Re: main menu background map

Post by Game Zombie »

TheBirdman wrote:o this got me thinking, could we rig up a background map sort of like in the half life 2 series? i know it is just a small .bsp with some npcs (walking people and pidgeons ect.) it dosnt make startup time much longer, as long as it is small.

... idk maybe i should post this in requests...
It can actually make loading a bit faster but it depends on the background map
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

I'm not big on 3d backgrounds. They're neat at first but really just end up being a delay on every startup. Especially if say your game crashes and your trying to get back online to rejoin quickly.

Not that I'm saying it shouldn't be optional, but just that there shouldn't be a 3d background by default. The 2d one works fine.
Last edited by Tysn on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Hi, Tysn is right, 3D background maps can only add to the consumption of resources on mod start-up.

I've made and released a background map (I made it very simple so that it loads as quick as possible, though end of the day its never going to load as fast as the 2D Image). And incidentally, you still have to load the 2D image before the 3D map.

Obsidian Conflict 1.34 did not really support fully background maps.

And I believe that 1.35 still does not fully support them.

Though this does not mean you can't use them.

There are a couple of issues like removing HUD elements (though I believe I may have found the right command to solve this).
Also getting the background map to reload when a player returns to the menu for a second time there were issues.

Also disabling MOTD is a problem.

I believe Neico has done some work towards background maps (I can't remember what he did I'd have to look at the change log for 1.35).

Now 1.35 is out I'll test my background map and maybe I'll write a better guide on its useage.

If you'd like to check out or test my exsisting background map in 1.35 here is the link to the thread:

http://www.obsidianconflict.net/forums/ ... php?t=3611

Just remember to backup any of the old files before you install or overwrite!!!
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

There was a test with it but the huds kept reappearing and other problems. So it's not (yet?) supported or at least the problems aren't fixed.

Other than that I instantly removed the background map from my beta installation because it increased the start time by 2x. So I rather have them off at any game. Which I do.
TheBirdman
Vertex
Vertex

Post by TheBirdman »

thanks guys! i just kind of wanted to know if it was possible.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

I thought they could be useful for showing your current player model. I was also thinking of somehow show the laser color as well, if I could figure out how.

One of my WIP backgrounds.
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

Ugh. That diffuse shadow is fraking ugly. Dammit, Source!
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Yeah, the shadow-maps need a higher resolution, if I can figure out how to up it, I will gladly give the information to rest of the modding community. I think that's how C17 did it, when I asked if I was right I got a sorta mixed answer.
TheBirdman
Vertex
Vertex

Post by TheBirdman »

Gary wrote:I thought they could be useful for showing your current player model. I was also thinking of somehow show the laser color as well, if I could figure out how.
O.O
ooooooo!!
i like!
i couldnt come up with an idea that good if i got high and someone was holding a peice of paper with that idea on it right in front of me.
Mentelgen?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Oh, I like I hadn't seen it before, I liked the canal/sewer one you did as well.

Any sign of a release? I'd like to check them out.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Sure, I'll release them today if you would like it see them.
TheBirdman
Vertex
Vertex

Post by TheBirdman »

:D

yes please
Mentelgen?
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Sure, I'll work on releasing them either today/tonight, I want to make sure they are ready(working/optimized). If they don't get released this day, I promise they will be released tomorrow!

Also, I got the idea from Halo2, as I was once a Halo2 xbox modder. Halo2 runs a map when it first starts, allowing you to customize your player model in real time.

I was also hoping at one point(1.36?) that we can also allow for inputs for main menu maps, such as when you click the play model options, it will tell the map to show the player model and allow you to rotate the player.

Also, Neico fixed the MOTD thing:
"[Fix] MOTD and Map Briefing showing up on Background and Commentary Maps"
TheBirdman
Vertex
Vertex

Post by TheBirdman »

Gary wrote:Also, I got the idea from Halo2, as I was once a Halo2 xbox modder.
cool story bro

*thumbs up

post link when done, i would like to use this.

EDIT:
is it tomorrow yet? :P
Mentelgen?