Oc_paysan

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
Hickers
Vertex
Vertex

Oc_paysan

Post by Hickers »

Ok i am sorry for the abuse i gave the oc dev team. Also oc is my favorit game which i play all the time.

What i was meaning was that i belive you have been rude against the map paysan.

I know there are parts of the map such as farming, day and night, ants and the pumpkins ( like mushrroms) are like Harvest. But Sven has made all you devs and people who helped credits in form of people in the game to show people you have influanced the way in which it has been made.

Also there are many aspects of the game with differs from harvest such as the town situation were there are things such as the bank and dungen which make for a more enjoyable game. The farm maybe done the same way as harvest but i dont know much about mapping side due to lack of experiance and that i can only decompile paysan. But this aspect of the map people balive harvest is better in that way. Tsans models maybe used but his name in the game plus you have made them freely available in the sdk.

And lastly Worfox was rude also in saying how bad the map was "constructed". I have playd with Sven in the past and he seems to be a cool guy who has only made the map for people enjoyment. He also has been mapping since HL1 so he has many years experiance mapping and should be given a bit more credit then "riped parts of other maps and stuck them in his own".

Thanks for you time[/b]
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Re: Oc_paysan

Post by Andrax17 »

this "sven ripped shit from harvest for paysan" topic should have been dropped already imo....it doesent need its own thread.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Sven took a LOT of stuff from other maps, from brushwork, entity work, concepts, to content specially created for one map (like Tysn's models), yet when you check his thread, all you see is
sven666 wrote: Credits:
Map By Sven (get a life mod)
Neither he asked for permission or anything, all he does is give himself all the spotlight, putting his name in a shiny color as the only creditable person.

So don't you tell us we've been "rude" against him.

Nothing else to say here.
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Re: Oc_paysan

Post by Tysn »

Hickers wrote:But Sven has made all you devs and people who helped credits in form of people in the game to show people you have influanced the way in which it has been made.
He also has a bunch of his friends as random people walking around. I'm the only person who worked on harvest, throwing me in with a pool of random templated npcs walking around isn't "credit".

People may very well find paysan fun, that isn't the issue. The problem is that sven gives himself a ridiculous amount of credit compared to the actual amount of work he did. Sven loves to play dumb and innocent, to make it look like I'm attacking his map out of nowhere. Just to reiterate:

- I talked to sven before he started making paysan and asked him not to use the models and textures I made specifically for harvest. He ignored me and used them anyway.

- Once paysan was released and it was shown just how much he copied, I asked that he give me and harvest credit (and I mean actual visible credit, aka a line in the map description that says "Based on the map oc_harvest, made by Tysn" or something like that, not some stupid ambiguous npc). Once again, he ignored me.

- He has known these issues for eleven betas of paysan, and every single time when I messaged him about it he always "forgot" Not to mention that "Tysn" npc? it took him till around beta 9 or 10 to add even that.

People like sven are not uncommon, they deliberately omit credit for the things they rip off to let people assume that they created them. His behavior is similar to the devs of the hl2 mod Orion, whom for all of the very obvious rip-off of the Halo art design, absolutely refuse to even mention the game as any sort of inspiration.

I'm not saying you shouldn't play paysan. I'm saying that you shouldn't defend Sven. The "innocent" act he plays towards players who don't know the history doesn't hold up when he has been actively denying giving credit and refusing to remove all the stolen content throught the entire developement of paysan. He is a hack, simple as that.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

makes me wonder why he and his map aren't banned yet
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Pretty much. It's one of those thieves that just somehow manage to get away with it.