Nonstandard Map Crash

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
Zebra
Vertex
Vertex

Nonstandard Map Crash

Post by Zebra »

I understand the title may be generic but bare with me if you can.

While my friends and I have been working on a map and discussing random things about it, one of them found a puzzle map created long ago for an HL2 mapping competition. So I downloaded this map and looked it over in Episode Two, and it was pretty good. The only file involved was a single .bsp file with everything embedded inside of it with pakrat, I am assuming. So I thought to myself, "What if I make a quick and dirty personal conversion so we could walk through it and discuss some stuff about it?"

So I throw the .bsp over into the Obsidian Conflict maps folder and begin to launch my server with the map. After reaching to the very end of the progress bar, an ominous black pops over the entire screen with my cursor visible, and then it promptly closes HL2 with the kind fact that whenever Microsoft finds an error to this problem, they will let me know. Hurr. I then began to carelessly paste over some other maps that I have previously ran in Episode Two with ease only to find that all of these maps have had the same issue. A black screen, followed by a crash. While I did not expect the maps to run even half decent, all of them not running at all is what is dumbfounding me. It isn't an engine related issue (as far as I am aware) as Obsidian Conflict can run Episode Two maps quite well and a small devbox test map I have created in Episode Two also runs. Yet all of these are not wanting to run -- its like a damned puzzle.

If anyone has any input or questions at all, please let me know.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: Nonstandard Map Crash

Post by MaestraFénix »

Hmm, maybe the map is outdated and/or have something inside that makes it crash??

Try opening the map in Hammer.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Zebra
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Zebra »

If there was anything in these maps that would blatantly make them crash, they would have crashed in Episode Two. Two of these maps were created in 2010, so I doubt they are outdated. It is also a wide amount of puzzle maps that fail to run, and all of their resources are inside of the .bsp. Considering the amount of maps that are failing to even run, it must be something quite basic. I have EP1 and EP2 installed and mounted.

I have had no problems related to this with any other maps.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Do the mapnames begin with ep2_?
If not, you have to create a _mounts.txt file for them to mount ep2 when the map starts.
Zebra
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Zebra »

Yes, appending ep2_ works! Thank you so much.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Remember that renaming maps break cubemaps though so you're better of making mount files. http://wiki.obsidianconflict.net/?title ... t_Mounting
Zebra
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Zebra »

I'm definitely switching things over to mount files then. Thanks for the heads up.