oc_lobby map portrait textures

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
Gridalien
Pixel

oc_lobby map portrait textures

Post by Gridalien »

So I'm trying to add some maps and textures to the unused doors of oc_lobby, but the textures I'm using for the portraits next to the doors don't appear. The first one I'm trying to add is oc_paysan, and I've taken a screenshot ingame with my hud and weapons gone, converted it to TGA and then to VMF in my materials directory.

I've tried a bunch of things to get the texture to appear as the portrait, but it never shows. I keep the VMF and VMT files materials/lobbytextures and have the code for oc_lobby's config pointing to that in the entry for door #40. Nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas?
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Re: oc_lobby map portrait textures

Post by TESLA-X4 »

What version is the VTF? Obsidian Conflict (and other mods based on Source Engine 2007) can only accept VTFs up to version 7.4, attempting to load a VTF of version 7.5 results in the following warning in the console:

Code: Select all

*** Encountered VTF file with an invalid minor version!
*** Encountered VTF file with an invalid full header!
Error reading texture header "materials/path/to/file.vtf"
Another possibility would be that you have not specified the path to the file correctly. For example, if you have the file at materials/maps/oc_lobby/lobby_oc_paysan.vtf, your decal entry in cfg/oc_lobby_modify.txt would be

"Map_Decal_[NUM]"	{"texture" "maps/oc_lobby/lobby_oc_paysan"}
Also, don't forget to check if your accompanying VMT correctly points to the texture:

"$basetexture" "maps/oc_lobby/lobby_oc_paysan"
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
Gridalien
Pixel

Post by Gridalien »

TESLA-X4 wrote:What version is the VTF?
As far as I know, it's the latest version. I'm not sure how to make outdated textures, as this is the first time I've tinkered with something like this.

TESLA-X4 wrote:Another possibility would be that you have not specified the path to the file correctly.
I'm certain I've done this right. The path to it is and is specified as 'materials/lobbytextures/lobby_oc_paysan'.
TESLA-X4 wrote:Also, don't forget to check if your accompanying VMT correctly points to the texture
You got me there. Though, when I modified the VMT file to;

"LightmappedGeneric"
{
	"$basetexture" "materials\lobbytextures\lobby_oc_paysan"
	"$surfaceprop" "paper"
}
, it didn't seem to change anything.

I'm thinking I need to put the texture into the map itself, though doing that would require I edit the map (which would force people to download the differing version of the same map when they join, and that's rather inefficient considering I want to merely add one or two textures and I do not have an FTP service for my server). I think this because I tried using other textures that were in the materials directory and none of them worked either.

[EDIT]

I omitted 'materials\' from the basetexture specification, didn't seem to do the job either.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

It's missing

"$decal" "1"
	"$decalscale" ".25"
in the VMT.
Gridalien
Pixel