Data Theft Map Concept

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
Sabre
prop_static
prop_static

Data Theft Map Concept

Post by Sabre »

I have an idea for a map, and wondered if it was possible, and if so, if it would be of interest to players.

A heist, let's say players raid a combine base. The goal is to steal something, let's say plans for a combine super weapon.

Gameplay wise, the map would be in 3 or 4 stages. You go into an area, have to hold off waves of enemies until a timer runs down, at which point the next section opens, and you do it again, until you get to the last stage, where you simply have to escape the map.

The twist involves points. Players get points for a killing things and healing in usual OC fasion, as well as using combine terminals around the map. Let's say they are stealing other bits of sensitive combine data. The points can then be spent on various things, such as unlocking better weapons for the team, making cover appear, spawning a squad of friendly NPCs, lives for your team ect.

This creates a risk reward system of hacking terminals, teamwork (you need cover while you hack), as well as re-playability as you try different combinations of buys.

Technically, the map would work with alot of buttons activating either wall_toggles, entity spawners or NPC_makers. Enemies would spawn in waves based on time so the players aren't under constant pressure.

I'm not sure if it is possible to have multiple timers running at once. If buttons can be made to only activate when the player has X amount of points. I'm also not sure what would be the best way to scale the points/AI based on player count. I'd also need to figure out how to make combine come out of the ceiling or burst through walls to stop players camping at doors.

Let me know what you think or if you have any ideas for the map.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: Data Theft Map Concept

Post by MaestraFénix »

Can be made. The only thing that i´m not sure is if is necessary a npc_merchant for the "upgrade shop" (for display the menu. Maybe a "hologram" model can fit).

Sounds good for me: "OC: The heist"
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

RocketRunner
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by RocketRunner »

This sounds like a blend of usual Hoard Mode gameplay and the gameplay of some OC maps.

Still workable, though.
I usually run from rockets.
Pretty straightforward.
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

RocketRunner wrote:This sounds like a blend of usual Hoard Mode gameplay and the gameplay of some OC maps.

Still workable, though.
That's what I was thinking. However that is mainly the limitation of the mod overall. Most if not all maps involve some sort of horde of zombies and some sort of countdown to limit them. I can't fault the idea however it is up to the maker to make the map more innovative and just not a remake of something like Antlion Troopers
:nyoron:
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Ny wrote:That's what I was thinking. However that is mainly the limitation of the mod overall. Most if not all maps involve some sort of horde of zombies and some sort of countdown to limit them. I can't fault the idea however it is up to the maker to make the map more innovative and just not a remake of something like Antlion Troopers
Me and Plasma managed to make a "wave system". Is not perfect, but it works.

I think that if we take this concept, and we put in a map which their style is based in the cyberspace (like Matrix/Dystopia "computer world"), it would be great.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos