Making mountains

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
DeadlyPoison
prop_static
prop_static

Making mountains

Post by DeadlyPoison »

Seriously, this is damn hard. i can't make single mountain. I get only sharp shaped Displacements.
Shitty mapper DeadlyPoison
Barnz
npc_hunter
npc_hunter

Post by Barnz »

Use models instead of displacements.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Barnz wrote:Use models instead of displacements.
:lol:

DeadlyPoison wrote:Seriously, this is damn hard. i can't make single mountain. I get only sharp shaped Displacements.
Smaller 3x3 displacments, subdividing, and smoothening. Its all a matter of practice.
Hickadam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Hickadam »

Displacement mountains?

Those are actually pretty easy, and I find the "natural" terrain easier to create (for me anyways,) than the artificial indoor stuff.

Make a sizeable displacement that is perfectly square, copy and paste it several times so that you have a row, or a few rows in front and back, that are all touching each other so you can sew them together later, if that's what you want.

Paint your geometry with a relatively small radius, and agressive pull. Dont make it too small, or you get needles. Just start randomly pulling those stones by feel, until you have a rough-shaped mound. Repeat that for all your mountains.

Then step back, and look: You have a series of mounds, that look nothing like mountains. That's because you haven't added the "natural" factor. Real mountains are joined, curved, sloped, sheared, collapsed, broken, etc...

You have to make each mountain individual, yet make it plausable and beautiful. Just look at some pictures, if you need help.

That's the best advice I can offer. If you still can't make moutains this way, get some models I guess...