O.C. Survival

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

O.C. Survival

Post by Gary »

This is the help thread for my map O.C. Zombie Survival, I will post problems and any thing I need help on, it's not that I am help-less, I just never learned some of the things I need for this map.

Problems:
Currently, my map is compiling, but not loading, in the middle of loading the map, O.C. crashes and says the Error "Engine Hunk Overflow".

Help:
Making a day-night system: needs to change the pattern of a light entity over time a,b,c,d,e,f,g,-etc. and at night it needs to cause zombies to spawn and cut off the rest of the map with a death barrel.

Supply system: you go up to an object and it changes the way some things work, such as a gas can that if you don't find or get it back to the house before night that you don't get lights during the night.
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

For the supply system you could use a prop_physics, a trigger_multiple, a func_teleport and stuff.

I'd put something like a generator (like these yellow things the vort activates in EP2) somewhere, then put a trigger_multiple next to it that's activated only by the prop_physics jerry can.
You also put a trigger_teleport there. The trigger_multiple's OnTouch activates the teleporter which teleports the gas can to a place on the ground next to the generator and disables motion so the can stands on the ground (Just like Valve did for the plugs). While doing this, the trigger_multiple also enables light switches (func_button) which are locked again on the next morning.
Just then the prop_physic's motion is enabled again and its targetname changed so it wouldn't activate the trigger anymore. The light is turned off. A new jerry can (which then of course has the old name) is spawned somewhere in the map via point_template and you have to put the old one in a garbage container where it's deleted.

Now you can also add generator sounds and stuff, but I think that was the basic idea, lol.
Last edited by Blues on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

Excuse me for being rude. I'm usually drunk while posting.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

For the Error I'm sorry but I've forgotten what it is.

for the other two you need to think more in terms of logic timers and logic relays and triggers.

i.e the gas can will allow the light to come on if brought to the generator only, not switch them off if it wasnt.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
JerC
Donator
Donator

Post by JerC »

For day/night system,asking Tysn would be good.
Please don't take my posts before 2013 too seriously. It will be better for both you and I :c
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

^ Not very practical, as the fade wouldnt be so realistic drawn out over a night time battle. your better of checking out a WIP map made by PowerMad, it was a defense map using a sky box prefab. see my oc_rein thread for details in the wip section. (I'm being lazy).
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

You might consider posting the compile log concerning that engine hunk overflow thing. I think it had something to do with entdata, lightmaps and vis. Just like there's too much information for the engine to handle on mapload or something.

You should maybe also use colorcorrections for the day/night system.
Image Image Image

Excuse me for being rude. I'm usually drunk while posting.
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

Fix for Engine hunk overflow: increase your lightmaps.

See here for reference on the problem: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=806236
:nyoron: