Post here your problems/questions with hammer. Post & Reply

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: Post here your problems/questions with hammer. Post & Re

Post by MaestraFénix »

I´m just near to release an alpha version for test it. But i want refine a bit more.

Alien Grunts and Vortigaunts makes a lot of damage, and i want to low it to make it like in HL1 games.

I tested with the following commands, but doesnt appear to have effect:

"sk_vortigaunt_dmg_rake"
"sk_vortigaunt_dmg_zap"

"sk_agrunt_dmg_punch" <-is this only for the "melee" attack? if yes, then what controls the damage of the hornets?

Is not "necessary", but if i can control that, it would be more easy for the players instead of dying all the time.

P.D: I finally got working properly PakRat, no more packing ALL the things :D
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

z33ky
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by z33ky »

The HL1 vortigaunt (monster_alien_slave) damage is controlled by the sk_islave_* variables.
For the HL2 vorts, OC seemed to have added sk_vortigaunt_enemy_dmg_zap (this only controls the damage done to enemy players, not friendly players or other NPCs).
sk_vortigaunt_dmg_rake seems to be a dead variable, sk_vortigaunt_dmg_claw however should be working for its melee attack.

For the hornets, adjust sk_npc_dmg_hornet.

Code: Select all

while(!bugQueue.Empty())
{
	featureList.Insert(bugQueue.Pop());
}
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

z33ky wrote:The HL1 vortigaunt (monster_alien_slave) damage is controlled by the sk_islave_* variables.
For the HL2 vorts, OC seemed to have added sk_vortigaunt_enemy_dmg_zap (this only controls the damage done to enemy players, not friendly players or other NPCs).
sk_vortigaunt_dmg_rake seems to be a dead variable, sk_vortigaunt_dmg_claw however should be working for its melee attack.

For the hornets, adjust sk_npc_dmg_hornet.
True, i had to specify that.

The commands doesnt have any effect. Hornets still making high damage, and vortigaunts the same damage.

(didnt tested with the islaves, but probably, like happens with most of the entities of another games, they will have the "only original model" bug).

z33ky
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by z33ky »

Only original model bug?

I just tested it, and although the vortigaunt does three times the damage than specified (perhaps due to an adjusted skill level), it works for me.

while(!bugQueue.Empty())
{
}
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

z33ky wrote:Only original model bug?

I just tested it, and although the vortigaunt does three times the damage than specified (perhaps due to an adjusted skill level), it works for me.
You cant use custom models. For example, try use a custom model in monster_sentry or npc_zombine.

Really? Hmmmm strange.

At the moment i´m struggling with the cubemaps of the map. Without any cause, the new part that i build shows missing refractions, and i used all the tips to build cubemaps and compiling with the expert option of HDR final (and in the last compile, it worked well).

z33ky
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by z33ky »

Well, I wouldn't call it a bug. It's just not a provided feature.
It probably works if you place your custom model in the same path as the original one.

As for your cubemaps: Look in the compile-log if there are any errorrs or warnings and perhaps set the developer console variable to 1 before starting the map and look if there are any errors or warnings in the console.

while(!bugQueue.Empty())
{
}
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

I discovered that is just the HDR, because the cubemaps works fine.

I forgot the commands to test the vort damage.

EDIT: Solved the problems:

For modify the damage that makes the hornets (the "bullets" of the Alien Grunts) and the damage that makes the energy zap of the vorts:

sk_npc_dmg_hornet

sk_vortigaunt_enemy_dmg_zap

You will have to ajust with precision the value, because for example, putting 10 in the hornet, it will make "randomly" 15 of damage.

For the "High shiny with HDR problem", check if your enviromental_light have the same settings in "normal" and "HDR", and if the problem only is in a determinated zone, check the lights for the same.

A lot of work for a map of ten minutes, heh. :lmao:

EDIT: I put this here for avoid forget it again:

How to build cubemaps: the right way:

**after compile the map with "HDR -final expert option"**
Mat_specular 0
Mat_hdr_level 0
Map [Mapname]
Buildcubemaps
Disconnect
Mat_hdr_level 2
Map [Mapname]
Buildcubemaps
Disconnect
Mat_Specular 1

(is more faster exiting and entering in the mod instead of loading again the map, no idea way).
Last edited by MaestraFénix on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Ok, the map is nearly ready for the final test. But there is a bug that i continue having (it will exist online? i dont remember it how it was in the last test), the last enemy wave that i spawn doesnt collide with other enemies (that means the player too) or with the same class.

It can be extremely annoying when you suddenly you see yourself completely surrounded by 5 soldiers, that in fact are 10 that moves at same time.

So, someone had this problem before? Seens that is only a OC problem, but i didnt found any post here about it.

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Fighter wrote:Is it possible to change npc_combine_s viewcone, beacuse default one is too big for my map.
I cannot find any input or console command.
Today i found a way, is not affect directly the viewcone like a code, but is something.

Try with Block LOS texture:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Clip

"Blocks the line of sight of NPCs and bots. mat_wireframe 1/2 will reveal that while this texture doesn't block visleaves, it draws crossing polygons, and them alone are capable of preventing the engine from rendering enveloped brushwork. This can be worked around through turning the Block LOS textured brush into a func_brush with its Solidity keyvalue set to a solid state. (A Block LOS func_brush can still be traversed in this state.)"

Maybe you can try make a couple of well-designated blocks and parent it to a npc for try it :P

P.D: I know that i´m late and you are highly busy.

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Bounding boxes in Hammer, how they work?! *y u no face.png*

(I want use a custom model in a npc, but since the bounding box of the original model continues being there, i used the options to adapt it to the new model. It works, but makes immobile the npc, only can attack from far, and the melee attacks if you approach to it. The question is, is possible use those options but making the npc useable?).

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Finally i found the way to fix the shiny problem on my map (and probably in another maps) when you have HDR enabled. I was compiling the map with the expert option "Final HDR", but if you only compile the map with checking in the normal options all in normal and HDR, everything works fine.

Now the final question is why is this happen? Maybe, the Final option makes VRAD make more intense the refractions? (i read that on Final, the lights are worked a bit more for refinement).

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Ok, i have a weird problem when i use ai_relationship with npc_hgrunt. They are friendly, but there are friendly fire (i can kill them as well as they can kill me if a grenade/shot hits me). I set correctly the entity, but i dont know why this happen:

I should report this to the BugTracker?

About the problem of the experiment with the custom bounding box, i think that is because i didnt set correctly the normal b.box in the model.

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

No one have an idea about what it could be the problem? i will report this to the bugtracker if i dont find a solution, with the loss of the time that it is if the problem has a stupid fix.

Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

You can use a damagefilter as a workaround.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

I surrender. i dont know why i´m having this problem, but if i do something more in my map that reach the 88.7% of the entdata, it crashes. No errors in the log, or in Hammer. Only the mdmp file that generates hl2.exe everytime it crashes.

Is a complete mystery why it crashes me loading the map in game. The mdmp file is the only thing that could help me, but i dont know how to use the method told in the VDC, and i cant get Windows Debugger for some unknown reasons too.

**FIXED. THE PROBLEM WAS IN A NORMAL BRUSH. CORDON TOOL SAVES LIVES**