help npc_sniper is crashing vrad

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

help npc_sniper is crashing vrad

Post by fug4life »

Firstly hello forum peeps!

sometimes it crashes on map load, most of time it crashes during complie.

How do you get the npc_sniper to work in obsidian. the npc_sniper model is crashing it everytime. everything todo with the sniper will compile yet if I have him in the map it crashes (even with hidden flag checked and no corpse). Ive tried with targets, I've had a ragdoll_magnet, a env_shooter and changed model. I've moved the npc around in the nest, the nest has tools/black texture. I'm sure the nest is tall enough and deep enough.
plz help me I'm pulling my hair out! everything will compile until I put the model in, err do you use the actual model? or you create the sniper a diffrent way for obsidian?

mucho apprecio!

fug4life
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

The sniper works if I change my map to a hl2 sp map. I wonder if the obsidian custom combine model is causing all the trouble.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

npc_sniper has no real model, it is a point based entity that fires bullets at enemy npcs and players. The ragdoll model that is shot from a window is merely an env_shooter.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

thanks for reply, although I'm still having no luck. I think I've tried just about everything, I even tried changing a couple of third party sniper tutorials that also work fine in hl2 ( changing player start to info_player -deathmatch and so on compilingfor obsidian.) but same problem as with my map in obsidian, They have a vrad error or in game on map load it crashes on intializing resources. I don't really have a problem with the other npc's I've added they all work fine at the moment. I can full compile and run my map easily when the sniperis are removed from the map :(

Ive taken away walls in the line of sight removed hint brushes used npc_templates, Ive tried the most basic of sniper setups and still no luck:(

any ideas/suggestions?

thanks, fug4life
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Let me check this out, very odd.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Wow, youtheman! And I know you ara a busy one at that!

I can PM you the vmf file If you want.

Disclaimer: I'll admit I'm relatively new to mapping. The map really Is a small testmap that is evolving into a project of mine (I have worringly big plans). So <cough> what you see Is errr, well don't look to hard at the rest :lol: The map will full compile for me in around 30-40 sec.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Any luck with snipers? I still can't get them to work for obsidian. Does anyone else have this problem?

I have even Included a VMF if anyone would like to try and see if the sniper works or not. when you compile your get a vrad error and when you load the map in game it will crash back to windows on intialising resources. This is driving me crazy as I have them working in hl2 s/p.

http://uk.geocities.com/fug4life@btinte ... helpme.zip

Hyperjag3
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Hyperjag3 »

VRad doesn't crash when I compile that map, however the game did. It was a bug and is now fixed, and will be availible with the hotfix coming in a couple days. I don't know why you're having trouble with vrad, maybe try refreshing your SDK content.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Great news! I'm quite new to mapping so I probably was getting it all wrong and blaming Vrad, I just thought it might be linked.

Thanks for bringing happiness into my life at least until the next error. :evil:

<fug eagerly awaits update>
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Vrad is only for the actual compilation of your map. It generates the images that make up the shadowed surface of your map. The NPC Sniper on the other hand is separate from the generation of lightmaps, in fact Vrad isn't used on runtime.