Crash when building cubemaps

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Crash when building cubemaps

Post by Shana »

When i type buildcubemaps in console, my game crashes after it generated all cubemaps (i think it crashes at the part where it zips the new cubemap textures in the .bsp file)
here is the mdmp file, maybe someone of the devs can tell me why its crashing?
http://rapidshare.com/files/37617395/St ... .mdmp.html
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

I made a small testmap with only 1 cubemap and it worked, could it be that i have too much cubemaps in my map? because im not close to the engines limitation:

Code: Select all

Object names       Objects/Maxobjs  Memory / Maxmem  Fullness 
------------       ---------------  ---------------  -------- 
cubemapsamples         364/1024         5824/16384    (35.5%)
Hyperjag3
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Hyperjag3 »

It crashed in bsppack.dll, it's just another problem with the source engine update Valve released. I think you just have to wait until they fix it.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

why cant they just stop changing things that worked before?
I think im going to find a better engine to map for, valve only frak things up...

Btw: i reduced the cubemaps to 203, made a fast compile, typed buildcubemaps and it worked, then i made a full compile (wich took damn long, like always), typed buildcubemaps and it crashed...
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

W0rf0x wrote:why cant they just stop changing things that worked before?
I think im going to find a better engine to map for, valve only frak things up...

Btw: i reduced the cubemaps to 203, made a fast compile, typed buildcubemaps and it worked, then i made a full compile (wich took damn long, like always), typed buildcubemaps and it crashed...
I have many times felt the same way you do, until I realize every other engine usually will have little to no official mod support, or the tools just suck. Stuck with Source. Then again, I feel this way the most when something isn't working. Valve definitely know how to break things.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Ok, i found out why it crashed: Valves bsppack.dll cant handle maps over 64 mb, i reduced the filesize by removing the hdr variables in the skybox textures, and now the map is only 30 mb, before it was 65 mb (without the custom content zipped) because hammer adds hdr default cubemaps when the skybox is a hdr skybox, even if you dont compile it with hdr.