[SOLVED] Too Many Light Styles...

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

[SOLVED] Too Many Light Styles...

Post by shiftey »

I have a warehouse type room (very big) that has about 20 light_spots in it, and I keep getting a "too many light styles on a face at ..."

All of the surrounding textures are really messed up. The lighting looks very square and blocky and doesn't fade smoothly except for a few areas. FYI the textures are all confirmed "LightMappedGeneric"s.

Any solution to this mess?

EDIT: It also never seems to calculate vis data.
Last edited by shiftey on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hyperjag3
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Hyperjag3 »

The lights aren't named (making them dynamic) are they? Could also be from setting custom lightstyles on them (flicker effects).
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

What Hyper said.

Too many named ones or if rendermodes changed. I wondered because I had a lot of complicated func_detail near the lights I added when I got the problem. But certainly deleting lights or making sure they are non-dynamic i.e not named or changed render mode should help.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

They're all named and all made up of a dynamic, spot, and point_spots. Do I have to delete them all? I really would like to keep them. They're all physics lights hanging from wires that break when shot. I played with the settings and got up to 20 of them in the same room without dropping my fps anymore than 10 fps. It would be a shame to have to get rid of them all.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Then I can only suggest take away the names, if your not switching them on/off with I/O.

Also your using I'm not 100% if this is right name but a light_dynamic? you have want it shootable/moveable?
Last edited by fug4life on Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Correction: !!The lights aren't named. I just checked and only the objects involved in physics interactions are named. Everything else is parented to the prop_lightmodel. I will try getting rid of the dynamic lights although I don't think they are the problem because they don't even reach the floor.

Each light prefab is made of the following:
1 Keyframe_rope
1 move_rope
1 phys_ballconstraint
1 prop_physics lamp model
1 light
1 light_dynamic
1 point_spotlight

Only the keyframe_rope and prop_physic are named.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Prop light model? If its parented then your props are prop_dynamic's surely? I only ever use prop_statics. unless the model insists otherwise.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

I have a prop_physics_multiplayer as the "fake" light and a light_dynamic parented to it. Then I have a regular light sitting static below the whole setup.

EDIT: Ok well I found that half of the lights on one side of the room were named and unnamed them. Now my lights look good but I still get that error while compiling and it doesn't run vis.
Last edited by shiftey on Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

so what your saying is you have 20 now un named lights parented via a prop to 20 + phys entities (i.e ball socket and the rope).

These lights would look like something in de_prodigy that map has lights like that setup. if you grab them with the grav gun it like grabbing a tyre on a rope in the source engine it goes all over the place.

Thats quite render intensive.

Sorry dont want to sound harsh, want to help :)

Edit: whatever way you name it etc, all those ent's combined just to = one light makes it as about as dynamic as you can get.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I dont really know what to say apart from can you not half the number of these you have and try get what you've got to cover the same surface area?

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

I did now but I still get the error messages. The lights look great in game though.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

If in doubt, decompile de_prodigy and take a look at those, I don't know but it some times good to go compare see if there's any tip or ticks the pro's may have used that you might of overlooked.

I don't know maybe they have their's optimised like a bitch to get what they have and I know that in de_prodigy theres about 6-7 of these lights in one vis leave and if anything I think thats about the total they have in the map.

but look to see if they are turning shadows of for the prop etc stuff like that.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

Can't you just remove all or almost all of the lights and replace them with point_spotlights or light_dynamics or something?

You just gotta test different settings i think to get rid of the error.
Like, normally, it's different light styles that cause that error. or if you have your lights turned off or killed by some input. You can't shoot em out, right?
Image Image Image

Excuse me for being rude. I'm usually drunk while posting.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Nope. They're not named so they can't be shot out.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Just a little explanation for light styles errors.
For say 20 lights on the same surface with names, rad has to do a calculation for every lights (on/off) state and assign the lightmap generated to the surface. A surface can only hold about 4 lightmaps so when you have 20 (on/off) states its a problem. If every light is unnamed it assigns them all to one lightmap calculation.

Valve should really allow you to parent a number of lights that turn off and on together so it will only generate two light styles for 20 or more lights, but there is no feature like this I don't think.