Alpha Problems

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Alpha Problems

Post by shiftey »

As you can see, the sprites are all messed up. I'm using a grass texture that was in HL2 around the playground of the trainstation. I haven't changed anything so it should work correctly. Please help me fix it.

This is another completely differint problem. As you can see, the shadows aren't being cast correctly from the fence. I added the prop to lights.rad but none of the fence models are creating shadows correctly. In this picture the lightmap size is set down to 1 unit/luxel for highest quality and still not working right. I'm expecting the shadow to be that ofthe chainlinks but it's just blocking most of the light instead.

If you can't be helpful then don't bother to post. That's mainly directed at Vasili, Cyan, and those 4 idiots currently at Warning Stage 2 and above.

Oh and as a token of my appreciation here is a pick I found in my SVN screenshots folder:

"Thug Life"
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

The grass sprites could be caused by compiling a hl2 map with ep2 mounted in hammer (or the other way around.)
Also, you could check out if using hl2´s detail.vbsp will fix it.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Like W0rf0x said check its not hl2 compiling in ep2, though also you must realise that even the old halflife2 runs on the ep1 sdk engine these days, so many textures have changed etc, If I were you I'd actually extract the texture and check its vmt, and if anything change the detail sprite, looks like its set to $forest_floor or however its written.

Whats the last pic all about? Is that from driveable apc era?
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

I'll check my detail.vsbp or w/e and the vmt for the material. I have a feeling you two are right.

Oh and the last pic was from the intro (rc_intro) to the Rheinland Conflict series me and w0rf0x started. It has since come to a halt but I'm sure someday we'll pick it up again.

Those two metrocops go on to execute a citizen who has blocked their convoy in the middle of a neighborhood. Quite dramatic. ;)
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

I compiled the map with the HL2 details.vsbp and it still looks like crap. What else could it possibly be?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Hmm, just out of interest is it a blend texture or just a plain old whatever lightmapped generic?

I'd check the gcf's (most of the usual candidates) for the texture in hl2, ep1, ep2. see if the texture has been changed at some point, it might lead you in the rigth direction.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database