[SOLVED] Allowing A Func_door to React to Physics

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

[SOLVED] Allowing A Func_door to React to Physics

Post by shiftey »

Okay so what I'm trying to do is this:
1. Make a chanlink fence prop_dynamic parent to a func_door, allowing the player to press use and it opens.
2. Make this chainlink fence gate knock down when hit by the prop_vehicle_jeep.

I want the fence to react to the physics of the car as best as possible. I don't want to script the door to come off if you understand what I mean. I want it to react naturally to the physics engine.

Any suggestions that can accomplish allowing the player to open it and also letting the vehicle run it down are welcome.

My initial idea was to make a physbox textured in vehicle clip set to motion disabled. Parent the func_door to this and the fence prop to the door. Set the vehicle clip physbox to enable motion when experiencing a physics force of 99999 (this is what I have been using for other run-over props). I'm just not too sure if this is the most efficient method.

EDIT: Turns out there is no vehicle clip texture so this plan won't work.
Last edited by shiftey on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

To clip a vehicle make a func_clip_v_physics and add a filter to it.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Well the whole purpose was to use a func_physbox that collides only with the vehicle. But I don't think this is possible.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Is it a chain link door? And you sure you don't want a func_door_rotate?

Right well I'm not sure what your trying but here I'll have a shot.

K, parent the door(prop dynamic) to the physbox, have the motion disabled flag checked, parent the physbox to your funcdoor. Add a damage filter to the func door and use the vehicle as the activator try filter_name or a filter_class. When the door breaks enable motion on the physbox.

If you really want you can use a filter_mass_scale or something. I'd need to look at hammer to be off more help :( But I think there are many ways.

You could probably do this sort of thing with phys_entities, like ball_socket or w/e. aswell

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
KON_Air
prop_static
prop_static

Post by KON_Air »

Or add a brush trigger that is only activated with a touching vehicle; lock the door and enable motion on physbox. Don't parent Physbox to anything.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

The fence model isn't the chainlink door. It's a model from ep2 of one of those industrial driveway gates that roles on a track attached to the adjacent fence.

Is there anyway I can attach the rolling fence as a prop_physics_override to the nonsolid func_door? this would solve my problems. I just don't know the proper way to attach it since physics can't be parented.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

You could try a phys_convert though it refuses to work on some prop_dynamics.

Parenting prop_physics is a no go area.

What ever I still think you have to kill/break the func_door on vehcile contact. With a trigger or w/e

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Awesome fug. That worked exactly how I wanted it to. I did a clearparent of the prop and killed the func_door while converting it to a physics prop.