Post here your problems/questions with hammer. Post & Reply

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
JMP
Pixel

Re: Post here your problems/questions with hammer. Post & Re

Post by JMP »

Thanks!
Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

Hi. Right now I seem to be having a problem setting up Obsidian for Hammer. I had it correctly set up before I had to reinstall my computer, but now I am running into some problems. There was no GameConfig in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\[USERNAME]\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\ directory, so I created one. I then use the text from the wiki, carefully changing Program Files to (x86) and adding my username into the file path. However right now Obsidian Conflict doesn't even show up as a game for Source SDK 2007. It would be great if someone knew how to fix this. Thanks.
~Umbrae~
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

You might need to reset your game configurations with the Source SDK launcher. Start it up from Steam and ensure you are on the correct engine version (i.e. Source Engine 2007. This is to avoid possible complications), then click on Reset Game Configurations (under the Utilities section). Of course, this also means you'll need to graft in the changes to GameConfig.txt as detailed in the wiki again, so you might want to make a temporary copy first.
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

What should the contents of my gameconfig look like? Right now other than the Obsidian Conflict text, it is blank.
~Umbrae~
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

The file in its entirety:

Code: Select all

"Configs"
{
	"Games"
	{
		"Obsidian Conflict"
		{
			"GameDir"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\obsidian"
			"hammer"
			{
				"GameData0"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\obsidian\Obsidian SDK\Obsidian.fgd"
				"TextureFormat"		"5"
				"MapFormat"		"4"
				"DefaultTextureScale"		"0.250000"
				"DefaultLightmapScale"		"16"
				"GameExe"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME\source sdk base 2007\hl2.exe"
				"DefaultSolidEntity"		"func_detail"
				"DefaultPointEntity"		"info_player_deathmatch"
				"BSP"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vbsp.exe"
				"Vis"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vvis.exe"
				"Light"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vrad.exe"
				"GameExeDir"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME\source sdk base 2007"
				"MapDir"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME\sourcesdk_content\obsidian\mapsrc"
				"BSPDir"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\obsidian\maps"
				"CordonTexture"		"tools\toolsskybox"
				"MaterialExcludeCount"		"0"
			}
		}
	}
	"SDKVersion"		"3"
}
Of course, this is under the assumption that your Steam install is at C:\Program Files\Steam, so you will have to alter that as well if it is not the case.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

That seemed to work just fine, with no reset needed. I have no idea what the code on the wiki didn't work, but thanks so much. :)
~Umbrae~
Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

Does anyone know how to add a respawning weapon_healer into a map? Weapon_healer didn't seem to come up in the entity tab, but I know I have seen some in other oc maps.
~Umbrae~
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

There is currently no entry for weapon_healer in the FGD, it will be added in the next hotfix. As a workaround for now, you can either create a weapon_sniperrifle or weapon_uzi and manually rename it to weapon_healer (it will then show up as an obsolete icon in Hammer, but will work in-game), or make a copy of one from another map.

Note: If you're testing it on a listen server (i.e. one made with the 'Create Server' option in the mod menu), then keep in mind that weapons and items will be subject to this bug. Dedicated servers using Hotfix 3 will not encounter it.

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

I found a flaw on my map (and probably on the rest of similar maps) about respawning weapons.

By default, when you pick an weapon, it disappears and, after some seconds, it appears again. This could lead to some griefing by some players "stealing" the weapon, forcing the rest of the players to wait until it respawns again.

But thankfully we have the mp_weaponstay command. If you enable it, it will automatically respawn, so all the players will be able to pick the weapon.

But i found that if you pick it, and then, you drop it while standing on the weapon, you can drop an infinite number of weapons, lagging, and even crashing the game.

How i could combat that situation? I thought about using game_weapon_manager entity, but it doesn´t work with the weapons that you find on the ground. I want use the mp_weaponstay command. Someone knows if there is a command used to tell to the game how many time it must pass until delete the item dropped on the floor?
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

LordDz
Polygon
Polygon

Post by LordDz »

Simple question, apparently the npc_metropolice think that its a good idea to patrol in Obsidian Conflict, is there any simple way of making them stand still / not patrol without having to use scripted_sequence? I'm making an intro where I have a lot of metropolices who are neutral to the player (the player is unarmed) and I just want them to stand still instead of moving around. Thanks :)
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

LordDz wrote:Simple question, apparently the npc_metropolice think that its a good idea to patrol in Obsidian Conflict, is there any simple way of making them stand still / not patrol without having to use scripted_sequence? I'm making an intro where I have a lot of metropolices who are neutral to the player (the player is unarmed) and I just want them to stand still instead of moving around. Thanks :)
I have no idea. The only thing that it could work maybe is using ai_goal_police, so they would guard a zone.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Ai_goal_police

LordDz
Polygon
Polygon

Post by LordDz »

Well I mean, not to rant too much here.. But which coder would add in a feature that removes control from the mapper?
I did notice that npc_combine_s do stand still, but I hope I don't have to use npc_combine_s with the police model...? That would be a really hacky way tho..
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

LordDz wrote:Well I mean, not to rant too much here.. But which coder would add in a feature that removes control from the mapper?
I did notice that npc_combine_s do stand still, but I hope I don't have to use npc_combine_s with the police model...? That would be a really hacky way tho..
There is a flag for ai_goal_police that makes the police who guard a zone stand still.

And the soldiers will patrol the zone where they are if they recieve a stimulus, like hear a gunshot/explosion.

TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

I don't know exactly who made said change in code and am unsure of his intent, but a rough guess would be to make them harder to hit from longer distances. To make them stay put, create an env_global entity and set the global state to "Gordon pre-criminal" (not forgetting to set its initial state as well). The side effect of this is that it also causes metropolice to shove players who get too close.
LordDz wrote:Well I mean, not to rant too much here.. But which coder would add in a feature that removes control from the mapper?
Well, I'm fairly certain "be an oracle" was never part of the job description for a coder.

LordDz
Polygon
Polygon

Post by LordDz »

I just think it could have been solved a lot easier with a flag to the police with "patrol" yes or not. ;)