Problem with cubemaps, refractions are shiny

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Problem with cubemaps, refractions are shiny

Post by MaestraFénix »

This is my last hope to find a solution, because i tried every single fix that i found on internet.

The problem is that after building cubemaps, 4 decals (not related with models) and some models are shiny, but the rest works perfect.

I compiled the map with the "HDR full compile -final" option, and used the following way to build cubemaps:

Mat_specular 0
Mat_hdr_level 0
Map [Mapname]
Buildcubemaps
Disconnect
Mat_hdr_level 2
Map [Mapname]
Buildcubemaps
Disconnect
Mat_Specular 1

But after that, the 4 decals are 100% shiny, and the affected models presents their specular map too shiny (imaginate the female assasin, now add it more glow).

I fixed it for the test adding the same values of the brightness and rest of the values to the lights and the light_env., but now doesnt work.

There isnt any strange in the compile log, or in the console.

Please help me, this is the only thing that avoids me release the map!!!.

Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Problem with cubemaps, refractions are shiny

Post by fug4life »

Check if the skybox textures you are using are HDR textures.

Check if the problem does not exsist when compiling LDR.

Also have you added any sprites to the map? Try going around and using picker;ent_fire !picker kill on all your sprites before building cubemaps.

And try disconnect and loading a different map before you go back to the map you're working on.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

fug4life wrote:Check if the skybox textures you are using are HDR textures.

Check if the problem does not exsist when compiling LDR.

Also have you added any sprites to the map? Try going around and using picker;ent_fire !picker kill on all your sprites before building cubemaps.

And try disconnect and loading a different map before you go back to the map you're working on.
*It is.

*In LDR doesnt exists (obviously, if you compile it outside of the "expert" way, checking all in normal but unchecking HDR, looks fine, with their correct refract).

*I dont have sprites.

*Nothing changes.

The problems go way turning off the specularity. I think that i gonna release the map without HDR (meh, only makes a bit more shiny the outside, nothing more).

Anyway, we could try fix it for the release/2nd version.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

fug4life wrote: Also have you added any sprites to the map? Try going around and using picker;ent_fire !picker kill on all your sprites before building cubemaps.
For future reference; you can use classnames and wildcards with ent_fire. For example:

"ent_fire env_sprite kill" would kill all your env_sprite(s). This is far more pleasant than flying around you map trying to get your crosshair right on the entity repeatedly.

and

"ent_fire dude1_* kill" would kill all the entities that start with "dude1_" like: "dude1_npc", "dude1_scriptseq", "dude1_relationship", "dude1_spawntarget", etc. (I map like that, so I can keep all my entities organized.)