Criterion for Inventory / "My Items"

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
Charles445
Polygon
Polygon

Criterion for Inventory / "My Items"

Post by Charles445 »

I was wondering what the specific criterion for putting something in your inventory is. It's a seriously underused feature and I'm planning on using it for something.
It seems to work with smaller props but I'm not sure what the specifics are.
Any help is appreciated!
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Re: Criterion for Inventory / "My Items"

Post by Axel_m3sh »

I know there was a console command to change how many, was it pounds or something, you can carry but I can't seem to remember. Someone fill in the blank lol

Mind you that entities tied to a prop (ie: a trigger, I/O) won't be carried over when you put it in then take it out of the inventory, so if anything best just use it on regular props
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Oh, another person's mapping for OC, that's nice to see. :) The ConVar is sv_maxinvobjectweight but note that it does not attempt to filter the prop type. If it can be picked up by the player and weighs less than or equal to the value of the ConVar, it can be stored.
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

I never was able to use it properly. I would like to know how to use it, so I can add it to the OC Hazard Course map that I´m planning.

The only thing that I know is that you can´t store mobile brushes, no matter the size or the weight.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Maestro Fénix wrote:I never was able to use it properly.
It actually has a bug in 0.1.3.5 that can break object removal, see my comment at the bottom for the explanation on why it happens. Unfortunately, it can't be fixed without releasing new client binaries.
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
Charles445
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Charles445 »

TESLA-X4 wrote:Oh, another person's mapping for OC, that's nice to see. :)
Ehh more like building off of an existing map, got permission from the author a while back, Zteer's awesome.
Doing this to get familiar with hammer again, will probably make something unique when I come up with an idea, but this will be a good warmup that might be fun for people.

Here's my situation, I have eight houses and each house has a particular key. It's a physics prop that you can keep in your inventory that a specific targetname (key_&i, &i being 1 through 8). It seems that keeping the item in the inventory DOES preserve the targetname, so this works well.

So I have a couple questions about the behavior.

1. If the map outputs 'Kill' to key_2 and key_2 is in someone's inventory, will it successfully remove it from that players inventory?

2. If a player disconnects with one of the keys in their inventory does it get dropped on the ground?
2a. If the key is not dropped on the ground, does it get removed from memory or get stuck in limbo?
2b. If a key does get stuck in limbo, will outputs to it still work? (Kill)

Basically I don't want to lose a key from the map entirely. I can always add a way to duplicate keys, but I don't want to have more than one of the same key on the map.
(btw if this sounds familiar that's because it's the umizuri edit I did 5 years ago that sucked)

Thanks for the answers! Yeah, learned that func_physbox doesn't work, pretty sad. Also as far as I can tell the size of the props matters, those blue lab plugs don't fit.
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

1) You could always just make a temporary button with that output while holding the key in your inventory to test it
2+) Straight from Tesla's link to the bug tracker
Description If you have disconnected or are for some reason disconnected or forced to reconnect, any items in your inventory (My items) will be persistent and stuck. Furthermore, if a player suicides/dies/somehow loses this item, picking up and storing any other item will cause it to be permanently stuck into inventory unless the player restarts the entire game.

Steps To Reproduce 1. Pick up a storable item (ONLY ON YOUR OWN SERVER?)
2. Put it in My Items.
3. Disconnect and reconnect/connect to any other server.
4. Check My Items for any instances of this item appearing
5a. If not, pick up any other item you can store and store it.
5b. Try to drop this item.

- Item will NOT drop, unless you suicide, but suiciding every time to drop an item?... I don't think that will work for long. -
Also blue plugs should be storable, If you can pick it up it should store, try upping the sv_maxinvobjectweight (test value of 9999 and see if it works lol)
Again I'm not really sure, I'm just putting out info from my past OC experience of messing around with inv.