Hammer random bugs...

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Hammer random bugs...

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

Ahh, another good day to map, eh?..... not exactly..

Yesterday i was happy because my spawning chambers were working right, with all the effects.. So i save it, and a backup..

Right, then i go map today.. all looks ok, so i start making the weapon stash.. placing all weps on the exact place.. working all textures to look best.. *done*... *save*...... *compile*... loading.... uh wtf? all looks same as yesterday... Did i forget to compile?... *compiles again*... still all the same..... *restarts SDK*... error loading map.. omg wtf...

okay then, here i go load backup file and do all again... so i do a part of the weapon stash, compile and go test... okay it is there and it works.. but OMG WTF!... around 120 faces missing textures... frak... here i go fix 120 faces of missing textures... Goddamnit..
<Proud to be a gamer>

Power-Mad
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Power-Mad »

Not enough information. Last time i got an error like this, I tried making an entity out of a displacment. Retrace every step you did and make sure nothing is screwed up.
[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

Power-Mad wrote:Not enough information.
well, if i had anything else to say..... sounds like what caused it was a wrong command in point_servercommand, i took it off and it worked..

but anywas this post is just to comment/post about these wierd hammer bugs, and maybe post solutions if anyone know ;)
<Proud to be a gamer>

[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

" movetype 221PhysicsSimulate: env_laser bad movetype 35PhysicsSimulate: env_laser bad movetype 221PhysicsSimulate: env_laser bad movetype 35"

and dozens of lines with that crap.. what does that mean? i do not have any moving laser on my map, why does it have a "bad movetype" then?
<Proud to be a gamer>

skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Its a nasty bug we have encountered. It sometimes causes some trouble with moving ents. We are still looking for a fix.
[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

Ah, and .. another thing....

What most makes the size of a map? im MB, that is.

I mean, what increases the size of the map in MB, entities? brushes? ...

Because my map is just a spawn room, compiled without Vrad, and it allredy has 2.4MB... While there are other completed maps with way more entities and compiled with full Vrad and are 7MB..
<Proud to be a gamer>

unconnected
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by unconnected »

Try tweaking the lightmap scale if you're really worried about the map's file size.

Larger lightmap scale = smaller file size.
I am the Devils Advocate
[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

well not that im really so worried about file size but if just the spawn room is 2mb, my full map would get like 50 mb and that would be a little too much, huh.

and Thanks for the help :)
<Proud to be a gamer>

Mutant Enemy
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Mutant Enemy »

50.MB OMG

LOL If a map was to be that size it wouldn't be played on many server as it goes over the 16.MB limit and most admins are to lazy to add net_maxfilesize 52 to the servers config.
unconnected
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by unconnected »

Well if the map was any good a) people would download it from another source and b) if it was really good it might get included with the next update.

Besides, I just compressed oc_seamus (which is about 54Mb) down to 13Mb in a .rar file so don't worry about it too much.
I am the Devils Advocate
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

the newest version of oc_broken_escape with all custom content ziped in the bsp is 66,8 mb big XD
(the bz2 file is 26,7 mb)
[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

unconnected wrote:Try tweaking the lightmap scale if you're really worried about the map's file size.

Larger lightmap scale = smaller file size.
ok but, i read on valve develop community that this is only defined on Vrad compiling process, and as i said, i am not compiling my map on Vrad, Yet it is allredy 2.4 MB and it is just a spawn room...

edit: i changed lightmap size for 64 anyways and it didnt modify 1 byte of the filesize...
<Proud to be a gamer>

unconnected
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by unconnected »

I just did a test on a small map of mine:

Lightscale 16 = 196Kb
Lightscale 64 = 41Kb

By the way, you did apply the lightscale to all the textures right?

Edit:

Don't go replying to posts when you're still waking up or half-cut.

Just noticed that you said it was without Vrad, ok well in that case changing your lightscale won't do anything (doh!) but it will make a huge difference to the file size when you get to the Vrad compile.

Basically anything you do before Vrad is hard to optimize in terms of file size, so you'll just have to get on with it. However, when you Vrad your map (at which point file sizes usually inflate massively) and you're worried about file size do as I mentioned above.

Soz about the miss-understanding!
I am the Devils Advocate
[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

OK thanks...

and heres another one, maybe more simple this time... oh btw sorry about asking so many questions all the time, but im still kinda learning, specially if talking about making things look nice and NPCs...

Back to the question:

How to make a npc move to AND attack an breakable brush? like, the classic zombie breaking a pile of pallets that were blocking a door.
<Proud to be a gamer>

unconnected
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by unconnected »

marnamai @ Interlopers.net wrote:If you want a NPC to attack a certain point then use a "npc_bullseye".

Make your "npc_...", give it a name(emample "shooter1")
Make your "npc_bullseye", give it a name (target)
Then make a "ai_relationship"

* ai_relationship
- subject = shooter1 (the npc)
- target = target (the bulleye)
- disposition = hate
- start active = depends how you want it (if no, then you need to trigger it!)

* npc_bullseye- health (depending how much damage you wanna do to it before it triggers something => like a breaking window.)
flags checked
- not solid
- all the rest unchecked
Works with zombies too if I remember correctly.
I am the Devils Advocate