Exploding Houses Props

Need help Modeling Props and Physical Objects for your Maps.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Exploding Houses Props

Post by shiftey »

I have a scene where shells destroy a whole neighborhood block. The houses get hit by shells and explode. The physics of having the houses explode would be too much for the engine though, so I have to make them into prop_dynamics. Only problem is I'm not sure if you can make animated prop_dynamics without bones. How did Valve make the sawmill scene in ep2 then?

Anybody got any ideas?
Barnz
npc_hunter
npc_hunter

Post by Barnz »

They use some Maya plugin. There's actually plenty of software around to make that kind of animations (never used one tho).
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Well I'm using reactor physics simulations in 3dsmax. My question is how to import the animation into Source. I can't find any information on how to make prop animations without using bones. I could always attach bones to all the separate pieces of debris but that would probably use too much resources when viewed.
TheMoon
prop_static
prop_static

Post by TheMoon »

Maybe try decompiling one of the ep2 models to see how compiling it works? Might also check out the valve wiki page for cinematic physics + its discussion
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Each broken piece needs a separate bone. While this is a nuisance, it is definitely workable. I also think I might try out this Blast Code Maya plugin they used for the ep2 scenes.
TheMoon
prop_static
prop_static

Post by TheMoon »

If it's worth the 2000 bucks for you, you may do that :p
Barnz
npc_hunter
npc_hunter

Post by Barnz »

The one they used for CZ (singleplayer part done by Ritual, now dead) was free, I don't remember it's name.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

You need a plugin or something that would autobone a non-bone animation. I would think that Valve have written something like this for themselves to get their blast code generated crap in. Unless blastcode does this already. I could have sworn I had been able to make a non-boned animation in max.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

I figured you could make a non-boned animation but I never really tried it. If I have to use the bones it shouldn't be too hard. I can make the animation then tie bones to each piece. As long as I keep it to a small amount of debris it shouldn't be a problem.