oc_diving_v9 (FIXED... maybe)

Release your amazing Map creations here!
Cloud
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Cloud »

Could you please upload a pack with all materials,ents,models this map uses? because i m getting a lot of errors instead of the normal prop. thanks in advance :)
Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Beanbrains »

Cloud wrote:Could you please upload a pack with all materials,ents,models this map uses? because i m getting a lot of errors instead of the normal prop. thanks in advance :)
Hmm? I thought i pakratted everything custom into it, everything not custom should only require hl2.

What specific things are missing?
Cosmosis
Donator
Donator

Post by Cosmosis »

Played this for probably a total of about 8 hours with 5 or 6 people yesterday without any major issues or crashes and we had a blast!

Here is all that I can remember as far as bugs/issues:
-The boats, especially the big boat. Many times when you pressed e to exit them you'd get stuck, we devised a number of ways to get unstuck but it was certainly a pain sometimes, because the big boat was so useful.
-The tray is definitely quite buggy, would go along with suggesting it's removal. Things usually stay nicely once you get them in the boat anyways.
-Sharks would be a pain in the ass for a while (like they should) but sometimes just stop spawning or stop bothering us for looooong periods of time. Also bodies like to scoot around pretending to be alive.
-I'm not sure how to overcome this, but I could see that in a public server, one person could come along and just punt other people's forts/bases and destroy their hard work. Even locked doors can simply be punted away!
-The oxygen tanks. Oh god the oxygen tanks X_X Again I'm not too helpful as far as how to fix it, but the way they work right now are barely any use. It's so annoying try to swim while "drowning" In areas like the mining tunnel, they work well enough I suppose.

And suggestions/comments:
-Wondering why the warehouse is so big when most of it isn't used.
-The "final goal" of building the rocket was great! Gave us something to work towards for a little while.
-At first we felt the crystals were way too much of a pain to bother extracting. but after a while we had a whole economy of one person gathering them and making them into batteries and then me and another person would pay for them and keep a full time job transporting oil. I have to say it was quite balanced and neat to see working. And quite profitable!
-The uber harvester, while a bit buggy and hard to control, was still a very nice addition and investment. Nothing beats sucking up a big pile of 15 gems with it.

Overall a very enjoyable map, certainly up there with the likes of harvest and paysan. Hope to see some more updates to finish it up and maybe even some future maps from you. You certainly have talent showing :)
Been playing OC with friends since launch when you were lucky to be able to play 30 minutes between crashes.

Have exhausted nearly 98% of the maps multiple times over the years and I thought it's time I should actually post on the forums instead of just leech.

Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Beanbrains »

Cosmosis wrote:-The boats, especially the big boat. Many times when you pressed e to exit them you'd get stuck, we devised a number of ways to get unstuck but it was certainly a pain sometimes, because the big boat was so useful.
Working on fixing this, it's practically impossible to tell if i have fixed it because the bug is usually caused by lag, and playing on your own (lan) server means no lag, thus the bug never pops up.
Cosmosis wrote:-The tray is definitely quite buggy, would go along with suggesting it's removal. Things usually stay nicely once you get them in the boat anyways.
Yeah, was thinking the same, will be gone in next version. Might add some kind of alternative.
Cosmosis wrote:-Sharks would be a pain in the ass for a while (like they should) but sometimes just stop spawning or stop bothering us for looooong periods of time. Also bodies like to scoot around pretending to be alive.
Not entirely sure what causes that, happened when i was playing too. Guess i need to make an alternative spawning mechanism for them.
Cosmosis wrote:-I'm not sure how to overcome this, but I could see that in a public server, one person could come along and just punt other people's forts/bases and destroy their hard work. Even locked doors can simply be punted away!
Ah, humanity, the biggest bug there is. Sadly any kind of protection against this could also be used against people - for example, if i made baseparts only unfreezable by their freezer/buyer, an idiot would seal off the spawn or whatever. The only decent solutions to this are admins and private servers, sadly.
Cosmosis wrote:-The oxygen tanks. Oh god the oxygen tanks X_X Again I'm not too helpful as far as how to fix it, but the way they work right now are barely any use. It's so annoying try to swim while "drowning" In areas like the mining tunnel, they work well enough I suppose.
The oxygen tank heals you after 0, 5, 10, and 15 seconds since you last touched it, so it should still be somewhat useful. I think the mod would need a way to modify a players aux power in order to fix the annoying constant damage thing.
Cosmosis wrote:-Wondering why the warehouse is so big when most of it isn't used.

A friend wanted me to add it to the map, it was something he made ages ago so i just fixed up the bunch of problems it had and added it, then realised that having to drag cargo in and out of it was going to be annoying. Now it just sits there being empty and sad :(.
Cosmosis wrote:-At first we felt the crystals were way too much of a pain to bother extracting. but after a while we had a whole economy of one person gathering them and making them into batteries and then me and another person would pay for them and keep a full time job transporting oil. I have to say it was quite balanced and neat to see working. And quite profitable!
Yay! Someone finally bothered using the oilrig properly :D. People don't usually bother with batteries because it doesn't directly give you money.
Cosmosis wrote:-The uber harvester, while a bit buggy and hard to control, was still a very nice addition and investment. Nothing beats sucking up a big pile of 15 gems with it.
I think the steering problems are lag related, so there isn't much i can do here
Cosmosis wrote:Overall a very enjoyable map, certainly up there with the likes of harvest and paysan. Hope to see some more updates to finish it up and maybe even some future maps from you. You certainly have talent showing :)
Thanks :D, glad to see people enjoy the map, i don't think i will ever truly finish the map, just keep adding more and more until i either lose motivation or the source engine keels over :P.
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

First post you made and a very good post too. You instantly have my respect!
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

you could put a trigger around the spawn which then unfreezes any props on the spawn and blow it away (does env_wind do the trick?) would be a pretty good solution for the spawn block thing (just make sure that the volume of the spawn ents is always free because else the player spawn code marks the spawn a blocked)
Cosmosis
Donator
Donator

Post by Cosmosis »

Beanbrains wrote:Ah, humanity, the biggest bug there is. Sadly any kind of protection against this could also be used against people - for example, if i made baseparts only unfreezable by their freezer/buyer, an idiot would seal off the spawn or whatever. The only decent solutions to this are admins and private servers, sadly.
A possible solution I could think of (now I don't know how easy this would be to implement) is if the only way you can unfreeze them is by doing a certain amount of damage to the panel. It might be a pain in the ass sometimes when trying to replace, but oh well. This way noobs can't just immediately come in and screw things up and it would take a bit longer so they could be caught beforehand. You could still do it even with a crowbar, but it would take awhile.

Even in private servers where it's not as much of an issue, you can have little fort wars. Like last night, towards the end as we got bored we built a whole bridge and then a couple island forts (nothing fancy) and turned off friendly fire. Insanity ensued. :D
Datastream wrote:First post you made and a very good post too. You instantly have my respect!
Thanks! I'ma try my best to help this mod, I've loved it since the beginning. Constructive criticism is the only thing I can offer xD
Been playing OC with friends since launch when you were lucky to be able to play 30 minutes between crashes.

Have exhausted nearly 98% of the maps multiple times over the years and I thought it's time I should actually post on the forums instead of just leech.

destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

about the big boat bug where you would stil be stuck even after exiting it. i had same problem and i used on singleplayer.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
Ark
Donator
Donator

Post by Ark »

Nothing works even if you try to kill yourself, because you would control the ship without being in. Uber harvester has this bug too.
Last edited by Ark on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmosis
Donator
Donator

Post by Cosmosis »

Ark wrote:Nothing works even if you try to kill youself, because you would control the ship without being in. Uber harvester has this bug too.
Ill try to describe as best I can the methods we found to get unstuck.

1. Jump around, move all you can, look up, basically just spaz and spam e. This works only sometimes.

2. Move the boat forward, as it's moving forward jump repeatedly so that you slowly edge your way off the back of the boat. Once you are far enough way, pressing e will exit you. This works almost every time.

3. Have someone else get in the boat, and then exit it, spam e while this is going on, hopefully both of you should be free. be careful not to stick into eachother.

Also, in trying to figure out what caused it, it seemed like we had slightly more luck not getting stuck when we stopped moving the boat and it was at a standstill when we got out. Still did not work 100% however.
Hope that helps.

Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Beanbrains »

v7 uploaded

-space!
-fishing exploit fixed
-a background island thing
-fixed bug where dumping lots of stuff in the refinery at the same time would make it not give enough cash
-removed tray, to be replaced with new "loot/fish crates"
-maybe fixed the boat bugs (AGAIN)
-deleter now ONLY deletes baseparts (your oil is safe now)
-perch value reduced to $50
-diamond, worth $200 and super rare
-loot and fish crates, you can put up to 10 of the pieces of loot or fish in them (depending on which type of crate), and then dip them in the main refinery to sell the contents (only the main one so that moving crates full of loot may be a viable job). May be difficult because there is no way to tell what is in the box, it could have 10 sapphires in it and look the same as one with 10 diamonds in it :p.
-luck buyable is now in space, along with a couple of other strange buyables.
-moved fishing zomes around a bit - there are now no pure perch areas connected to land, you either need a boat or some kind of sea-base
-big boat now freezes while no one is driving it, so you can fish/load cargo without it spazzing away.
-rocket now reports how much more air/oil it needs
-rod now has model, and I have found a way to fit more catchables into the rod (I dont have any other models though)
-transporter, brought on warehouse roof, beware, this thing is massive.
-probably something else, too tired to remember
-probably broke something important, I can't remember
Cosmosis
Donator
Donator

Post by Cosmosis »

Been messing around for a couple hours and I have to say, tis an awesome update. The boats work perfectly now, the new boxes are much better, no more oil deleting accidents :D, and the addition of the moon area is very nice. No new issues presented themselves, but I do remember a couple suggestions now.

1: The batteries. For one, they are annoying as all hell to try and put in. Is it possible to just have them lock in place? I dunno what to call it, but I've seen it in lots of maps. Second, maybe have some visual indicator showing how much they are having effect. I think if people can see it going faster, or maybe have a message next to the oil merchant saying "1 barrel produced every __ seconds" that goes down as you put in more batteries, people will be more inclined to use them.

2: Right now the delivery job seems like it's missing something. Some suggestions are to not make the time start until the crate leaves the warehouse area (but make the value decrease faster) that way you can load up a big boat and make some decent money. The unstable cargo is a great idea but it's SO easy to have an accident and have 1 or more crates explode, you lose money, and any you do deliver you don't make a ton of profit considering the trouble. Love the electronic cargo though, unlike the basic which is usually easier to just swim to it's destination.

fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I just have one suggestion. No offense to vesuvian but the cliff model texture is a bit low res. I think its a great model, but its a bit too close to the play area and now compared to the lovely rocky island you've added it really shows up.
It would be cool to still use the model but it just needs a better skin.

Also the tunnel needs a bit more graphical love!

And lastly the majority of buttons I think would look better if they were given a bit of attention and re-made into thinner slicker more stylish, they are a bit lego'ish at the moment.

That's about it, I must say the map has come on a lot since v_1, its looking less combine and more like an island. When you run out of room for additions, I hope you will continue to improve the visuals in the map.

lastly congrats on making a popular and fun map!
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Beanbrains »

Cosmosis wrote:1: The batteries. For one, they are annoying as all hell to try and put in.
Try putting them in inventory and taking them out again, they go the right way round and are easier to put in the slots.
Cosmosis wrote:Second, maybe have some visual indicator showing how much they are having effect. I think if people can see it going faster, or maybe have a message next to the oil merchant saying "1 barrel produced every __ seconds" that goes down as you put in more batteries, people will be more inclined to use them.
If you listen closely you will notice the generator noise changes in pitch with more batteries :P. Will see if i can fit any more indicators in without making it look silly.
JerC
Donator
Donator

Post by JerC »

1.Since you can only get on oilrig ladder with use key,you CANT get up with a battery on oilrig without a boat..

2.Sometimes,the spawn is bugged and you stay in a dark place...

3.How is everything supposed to fit in?