Oc_train_v1b

Release your amazing Map creations here!
Tofu
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Tofu »

Actualy it should be possible. If you just move the moving textures farther out and added a couple of trains on either side moving backwards and forwards you could get the same effect. The same thing was done in an SC map.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Tofu wrote:Actualy it should be possible. If you just move the moving textures farther out and added a couple of trains on either side moving backwards and forwards you could get the same effect. The same thing was done in an SC map.
No becuse I've tryed and it osnt work, the combine just can't see you

The good thing is that you go on a new train you have to use your grav gun to get it moving
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

I've done a lot of map's today
I've got 3 map's on my do list to do

Oc_H-O-A-P_Spin
Oc_TowerOfDoom (Comunity tower)
Oc_Valley_v2 (Much better stating from scratch)
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Tofu wrote:Actualy it should be possible. If you just move the moving textures farther out and added a couple of trains on either side moving backwards and forwards you could get the same effect. The same thing was done in an SC map.
SC?
Sven-coop?
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Did I forget to metion that it is biger (not the train)
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Vasili wrote:Did I forget to metion that it is biger (not the train)
What is bigger?
[JSC][GU]PREDATOR
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by [JSC][GU]PREDATOR »

Sorry to say but i just played this map and it was terrible, you should have had it so that the npc's spawn on trigger and when one round of npc's is dead the door breaks so you move on to the next instead of having it breakable because you could just shoot all the doors down and watch the npc's fight eachother, also since when in a train is there a vent witch leats to a room? its also a bad thing having to drop from that high because people sometimes sv_falldamage set to 1, and the wierd monorail thing is annoying i can't seem to get it to move anywere and there is a turn on the track witch looks impossible, and lastly the map end does not work.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

[JSC]_PREDATOR wrote:Sorry to say but i just played this map and it was terrible, you should have had it so that the npc's spawn on trigger and when one round of npc's is dead the door breaks so you move on to the next instead of having it breakable because you could just shoot all the doors down and watch the npc's fight eachother, also since when in a train is there a vent witch leats to a room? its also a bad thing having to drop from that high because people sometimes sv_falldamage set to 1, and the wierd monorail thing is annoying i can't seem to get it to move anywere and there is a turn on the track witch looks impossible, and lastly the map end does not work.
How many people did you have on the train monorail
you need 4-10
[JSC][GU]PREDATOR
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Well in multi player i can't even get that far because they turn into guts at the long drop part.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

[JSC]_PREDATOR wrote:Well in multi player i can't even get that far because they turn into guts at the long drop part.
Hmm, I'll try to fix that.
[JSC][GU]PREDATOR
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

You could add a layer of water at the bottom of the drop.
unconnected
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by unconnected »

I liked how at the end of his map he uses a trigger_changelevel to go do "Oc_Docks" instead of using the game_end entity.

Also of note was his camera looking at a rotating cylinder which relayed to the windows which were screens. Quite a nice idea I must say.

But there still aren't any info_nodes in the map, which is a shame.

Still haven't played it though.

EDIT:

Played it now and have some feedback.

First the bad things:

> I noticed how you haven't used any npc_makers, this could be useful in two ways - first, you can't hear all the npcs before you see them, i.e. through the func_breakables you've used to seperate the trains and secondly, by using some npc_makers you could probably make your map take longer and be more difficult by simply increasing the amount of enemies you have to fight.

> No info_nodes, its pretty simply to simply stand at the beginning of the train and spam rockets the entire length and kill all the enemies, this could maybe have been avoided if you'd used some info_nodes (some further reading would be beneficial I think: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Info_node is a good start) then the enemies might have come to you instead of standing there ready to be picked off with a rocket.

> Visible nodraw textures, after fighting the first gargantua (aptly named Garry Newman I might add) there is a little hut (?) you have to enter at the base of the entrance to it is a visible nodraw texture and it just makes the whole level look slopply made. If you can't find it I'll take a screenshot for you.

> The final train, it doesn't work. I notice earlier in this thread or another one you suggested to someone that it would take 4-10 people to move it - this simply is not the case. I ramped up the physcannon settings and I still couldn't get it to the other side. I understand you've been working on this and there might be some water involved in the next version so maybe its working as intended there.

> Finally, you should always use the game_end entity to end the map with, your use of a trigger_changelevel is quite amusing, but notice that if the server your map is hosted on does not have "Oc_Docks" installed then you might cause an issue.

Next some general concerns:

> The whole thing looks incredibly blocky (apart from the train, which is actually quite good), I suggest looking into adding some more brush work to counter this.

> I was a little surprised, then amused, then bewildered by the placement of poor old Eli trapped in a glass cage - why is this? I put him out of his misery by noclipping through and unleashing some manhacks in there. Poor bastard.

> It might have been the amount of alcohol I'd consumed, but I did find it quite hard to get into that little aforementioned shack after the first gargantua, not sure what caused that so I'll take another look at your vmf to find out.

Finally some praise!

> I said it earlier, but I'll say it again - those windows in the train are a very nice idea. I consider myself a bit of a newbie concerning mapping, but I do read EVERYTHING I can find on the subject and quite frankly I haven't seen anything similar to those windows. So bravo!

Hope this helps Vasili.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Thank you connected for that list of stuff.
unconnected
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by unconnected »

Vasili wrote:Thank you connected for that list of stuff.
No problem, looking forward to seeing any future maps you release.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Yay it is updated!
(oc_train_v1b)