Oc_Puzzler 1, 2 and 3

Release your amazing Map creations here!
Shadowsand
Vertex
Vertex

Oc_Puzzler 1, 2 and 3

Post by Shadowsand »

UPDATE 2nd May 2014
I've updated parts 1-3 and uploaded the complete file to OCMapDB. Full change log below.
[hr]
Until yesterday, these (along with all my other maps) were being made for Garry's Mod. But (as I'm sure some of you know) the Gmod community is terrible, and I'm bored of them. So now you guys get these! These are the first two parts of a series of coop-required puzzle maps with numerous secrets.

Each part consists of several 'Hubs', which in turn are made up of Challenge Rooms. Completing a Challenge Room will reward you with a puzzle piece. Once all pieces have been collected, the next Hub will be unlocked. Completing certain tasks such as collecting a puzzle piece or finding a secret will reward you with different amounts of points based on the difficulty of the task. Dying will cost you 5 points. In Part 2, some tasks will also unlock music tracks which can be played from certain points in the map.

Screenshots (Click for full view)
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Part 1 requires 2 people, and Part 2 requires 3 people though I've found both are most fun with 4. You can have more than this, but after that the map tends to get a little crowded. Also, Part 1 was made quite a while ago, so Part 2 is distinctly better. Having said that, I do think Part 1 is worth playing through at least once.

Although these have been extensively tested, the transition from Gmod to OC may have broken things in ways I haven't found yet, so please report all bugs. Suggestions for improvement are also welcome, though please hold off on ideas for more puzzles (Part 3 is almost finished and I have already planned out Part 4).

Download (Parts 1 -3 Complete)
http://mapdb.obsidianconflict.net/map:puzzler

Changelog
Patch3:
-Added Part 3, complete with (in theory) all textures, models, sounds and a res file.
-Reduced the odds of the lift at the end of Part 2 breaking.
-Changed the start buttons in the spawn room of Parts 1 and 2 so that it's easier to start the map.

Patch2:
-Updated .res files to work with Linux servers
-Added mp_playercollide 0 to the modify files
-Added a map change room at the end of each part, going to either the next part or the lobby
-Added a line to the modify files so you can change which lobby map it returns to

Patch1:
-Added .res files
-Updated Part 2

Credits
Mapping, Ideas, Textures, Sounds - Shadowsand
Textures - cncr04

Additional Testing & Ideas
Kaffo
Lelijke Nederlander
CarHeadButt
Pero
RayHalo
ProfanWolf
Afromana
Calvin
Theo
Dlaor
Last edited by Shadowsand on Fri May 02, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Oc_Puzzler 1 & 2

Post by fug4life »

Yes!!!

Did god send you?

Its like he heard our prayers; we need more maps! I look forward to playing!
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

I want try it.

Any server with this map?
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Shadowsand
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Shadowsand »

fug4life wrote:Yes!!!

Did god send you?

Its like he heard our prayers; we need more maps! I look forward to playing!
Heh, I don't know about god, but I can certainly make more maps. I have just started up a dedi server, which I think SHOULD work, let me know if it doesn't. It's only 4 players, but it'll do until someone can put it on a real server.

IP: 82.8.230.1
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Needs a .res file for the custom content.
Shadowsand
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Shadowsand »

W0rf0x wrote:Needs a .res file for the custom content.
Okay... I've never used them before, but looking on the Valve wiki, I can see why they would be handy. Is there an easy way to generate the list? I'd really rather not type it all out, and they share so much content it seems a bit silly to pakrat them.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I dont know of any auto generation of .res files, I wish there was.
Try copying pasting and much as possible, especially directory paths.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

I Know there is one because I've used it before.
Shadowsand
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Shadowsand »

W0rf0x wrote:I Know there is one because I've used it before.
I did a fair bit of searching, but the best I could find was 'ResGen', which said the BSP was an incompatible version so it couldn't actually do anything. So instead I sat there and wrote them all out:

http://www.filefront.com/17532084/oc_puzzler_patch.rar

Let me know if there are any issues and I will get them sorted ASAP. I also realised that the version of Part 2 I uploaded was slightly out of date, so sorry about that - the new version is included in the 'patch'. I've updated the download on the first post, so anyone who hasn't downloaded the map yet can get the full thing, including the patch from

http://www.filefront.com/17532098/oc_puzzler.rar
cartman-2000
Polygon
Polygon

Post by cartman-2000 »

mp_playercollide should be set to 0 if it's not needed in these maps, it's quite easy to get stuck in the teleports in this map with more then 3-4 people.
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

I was checking it out on cartman's server. For some reason it doesn't change from puzzler 1 to puzzler 2 at the end. Or is that how it's supposed to be?
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
cartman-2000
Polygon
Polygon

Post by cartman-2000 »

I think I was there the that time, and yes it didn't change at the end, doesn't look like it does, don't see anything related to a changelevel or game_end in the entities.

also the included res files won't work correctly on servers that have linux fdl's, don't have the proper case on some of the entries.
Shadowsand
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Shadowsand »

cartman-2000 wrote:mp_playercollide should be set to 0 if it's not needed in these maps, it's quite easy to get stuck in the teleports in this map with more then 3-4 people.
Okay, that's something which never came up before due to them being for gmod. As for changing at the end of the map, they currently don't because I wasn't sure if people would want to stick around after the end and try to find more secrets etc. However, I could put in a little vote-to-change room which will change the map when... say 2 or 3 people press buttons at once.

The issue with the fgd's is again because I've never used them before. These are all pretty small changes, so I will probably get a fix out in a day or 2.
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Secrets aren't meant to be found. That's why they're called secrets.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Shadowsand
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Shadowsand »

DisConnected wrote:Secrets aren't meant to be found. That's why they're called secrets.
I'd say that secrets are just meant to be difficult to find, but not impossible. After all, if it were impossible, no one would ever find the uber secret...

Anyway, here's the update:

http://www.filefront.com/17628902/oc_puzzler_patch2.rar

This zip only contains updated map files, config files and a couple of new textures. If you want the full version, by the time you read this I've probably updated the link on the first post. This update has mp_playercollide set to 0, the .res files should now work on Linux servers and a map change area has been added at the end of each part where you can change to either the next part or oc_lobby. Changing map requires 2 people to press buttons within 1 second of each other. If you use a lobby map other than oc_lobby, you can change a line in \maps\cfg\oc_puzzler_part(1/2)_modify.txt to set a different map name.

Due to lack of people I know being online, this update hasn't been tested, but I'm fairly certain it will work. If not, let me know. Also, Part 3 is almost done. I've just got to add in lights/cubemaps, then do a couple more difficulty tests and it should be ready.