Overwatch Sniper Rifle

Show off work in progress models.
Nirrti
Former Developer
Former Developer

Overwatch Sniper Rifle

Post by Nirrti »

Well, since valve has retconned the old bolt-action sniper rifle out of the HL universe, we figured using the newer, Ep2 design as a base for the new Sniper Rifle would be nice.

So, I started modeling it earlier today, currently it looks like this:

Still gotta do some details, finish up designing the dark energy core intake, plus some other stuff.
Lt_Commander
Former Developer
Former Developer

Re: Overwatch Sniper Rifle

Post by Lt_Commander »

I still really like that ammo.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Good that you finally dropped the leak design. This is far better.

I´m not sure, but the original model had a magazine. I cant see it now because the HLMV EP2 crashes when loading a model.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

LivingWithGames
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by LivingWithGames »

Maestro Fénix wrote:Good that you finally dropped the leak design. This is far better.

I´m not sure, but the original model had a magazine. I cant see it now because the HLMV EP2 crashes when loading a model.
The original HL2EP2 sniper did really have a magazine, as far as I know.I would say it holds 8 rounds but that's what I think.

The original HL2 Beta Sniper is something like this one Nirrti showed to us.It's like he had the idea of mixing the HL2 Beta Sniper in shooting just 1 bullet, and HL2EP2 Sniper quite on the design.

And I quite like it.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

It's meant to be a more portable and lightweight variant of the combine sniper rifle, which uses powerful single-shot pulse plugs instead of a built-in energy source like the one seen in EP2.
Xenire
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Xenire »

This is actually the concept that I thought would be best to use for remodeling the sniper rifle. I'm glad that it's what was used because it's a fairly nice design and far superior to the beta design.
[tab=135]Salt.
Nirrti
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Nirrti »

BiElGaMe wrote:
Maestro Fénix wrote:Good that you finally dropped the leak design. This is far better.

The original HL2EP2 sniper did really have a magazine, as far as I know.I would say it holds 8 rounds but that's what I think.

The original HL2 Beta Sniper is something like this one Nirrti showed to us.It's like he had the idea of mixing the HL2 Beta Sniper in shooting just 1 bullet, and HL2EP2 Sniper quite on the design.

And I quite like it.

The original HL2ep2 rifle does not have a magazine, though. Apart from some sort of internal battery that the vorti can be seen charging.
LivingWithGames
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by LivingWithGames »

Nirrti wrote:
BiElGaMe wrote:

And I quite like it.

The original HL2ep2 rifle does not have a magazine, though. Apart from some sort of internal battery that the vorti can be seen charging.
Yeah, I remember that.What W0rf0x said has also quite explained it.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Not fond of the way you guys seem to be doing the reload.

I think it would better to open the gun(it looks like a hinge there at the front of the gun). And put the bullet/ammo in that way(maybe insert it into the barrel or something).

It's always nice to see the reloading of the gun, if it's on the stock you probably won't even see it. Doubt it would be interesting.

Oh, and the model looks nice.
Nirrti
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Nirrti »

Gary wrote:Not fond of the way you guys seem to be doing the reload.

I think it would better to open the gun(it looks like a hinge there at the front of the gun). And put the bullet/ammo in that way(maybe insert it into the barrel or something).

It's always nice to see the reloading of the gun, if it's on the stock you probably won't even see it. Doubt it would be interesting.

Oh, and the model looks nice.
The reload will be visible, just as it is on the beta model.

Updated OP with newer render.
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

From the way it looks, I'd imagine that the insertion of the bullet/shell would look similar to the loading of a shotgun where you slide in the shell and once it's spent you pop off the cover and it pops out with a bit of smoke particles coming out

(kinda like at 1:52[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo] )
Nirrti
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Nirrti »

Axel_m3sh wrote:From the way it looks, I'd imagine that the insertion of the bullet/shell would look similar to the loading of a shotgun where you slide in the shell and once it's spent you pop off the cover and it pops out with a bit of smoke particles coming out

(kinda like at 1:52[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo] )
Yeah, kinda similar to break-open shotguns, in a way. Still gotta design the sled/cell insertion area though.
RocketRunner
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by RocketRunner »

So, is the team throwing out the Beta Sniper Rifle? Well, kinda sad to hear that, but hey, the EP2 Sniper Rifle isn't bad.
I usually run from rockets.
Pretty straightforward.
killer monkey
Vertex
Vertex

Post by killer monkey »

Any progress?