Black Mesa Alpha Pack

Misc work in progress screenshots etc...
Prototstar
prop_physics
prop_physics

Black Mesa Alpha Pack

Post by Prototstar »

Hi folks, just want to post an update here to let you all know that I'm working on a new texture pack named Black Mesa Alpha. By the obvious title it is a pack which will contain collection of Half Life recreated texture with an appropriate touch for Source Engine. The pack will also contain brand new rework of my old texture that were included in the previous release of my Black Mesa series (Black Mesa Texture Pack 1 & 2).

While BMS will be released soon (if ever), this project is meant to be more of a fun challenge for me to improve my skills, to add my own personal touch and perspective to how I think Half Life visual should look on Source. Hopefully some of you may find my texture pack of some value once it's released

All the texture you see so far are handpainted in Photoshop to the smallest details with subtle use of photosource. A lot of unnecessary work but I don't have the skill to make hi-polies model. Files are properly organized this time and the shaders (SSBump/Normalmap, specular, details, etc) are properly done unlike my old packs that were very sloppy-looking, were thrown in to Crazybump, then tossed in to the folders. :P

Image Image Image

Comparison:
New:
New Texture - Concrete Wall - #1
New Texture - Metal Wall - #2 (Outdated)

Old
Old Black Mesa Texture Pack #1
Old Black Mesa Texture Pack Overview
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: Black Mesa Alpha Pack

Post by MaestraFénix »

Oh yeah, those look even more awesome than the old ones you release.

Also, if you want, add more doors. The "FIRE DOOR" texture is good, but i miss another classic doors. And floor too.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Prototstar
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Prototstar »

I'll rework the doors as well so that they all will meet the standard quality. I don't like the old ones; they're horribly made. e-e

New Floor:
Old Floor:
http://images.gamebanana.com/img/ss/textures/92.jpg
RocketRunner
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by RocketRunner »

Looking good so far.
I usually run from rockets.
Pretty straightforward.
Prototstar
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Prototstar »

About 26 texture already. I'll probably release a pack for every 50 texture I make; turn it in to a series of texture pack.

Image Image
Warnink
Donator
Donator

Post by Warnink »

Prototstar wrote:Image
That really takes me back, good job man. I hope someone makes a sweet Black Mesa lab themed map/mappack.
Prototstar
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Prototstar »

I would love to play the Black Mesa themed maps too. Would bring back the old memories of the classic Sven Co-op mod.

Cliff texture. Spent about 8+ hours handpainting the diffuse, then spent a while sculpting the hi-polies cliff to generate AO and normal.

Doesn't include the normalmap generated in 3ds max but a normalmap that I handpainted in Photoshop. Might convert NM to SSbump. Cliff texture is about 2048x2048.
Image Image
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

The map that i´m doing is Black Mesa themed, and that cliff texture is what i just needed. Also, i´m using the "old" pack while you are doing this.

You have any door/gate texture made? Like this for example:

Prototstar
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Prototstar »

I'm thinking about how to go about with making those kind of doors. It'd look awkward and unrealistic making it flat on a texture... and very uninteractive. A model of the door would be useful for these kind of doors but my modeling skill is quite limited. I could give it a try though.

I'll also consider making a custom details spritesheet to include dried vegetation and detail props. Maybe also reskin the HL2 rock models to match the desert theme of Half Life universe.

Edited: Looks like the pack is now at around 60+ texture.
Prototstar
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Prototstar »

The well-known fire door, famous among players, has arrived to replace the old one.

New

Old
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Far better than the old one. Also, what font you used for the letters? i want make the same texture but with "BLAST DOOR"

Prototstar
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Prototstar »

Maestro Fénix wrote:Far better than the old one. Also, what font you used for the letters? i want make the same texture but with "BLAST DOOR"
The stock STENCIL fonts. I think they should already be on your computer. Check it out, if it isn't then you should check out dafont.com for stencil fonts.

Got a friend helping me out with sculpting the cliff and baking normalmap from it. That'll give the cliff texture a lot more realistic self-shadowed appearance with SSBump once I run the normalmap through the SSbump generator.

I might release the texture pack next weekend. I got a job interview tomorrow. If I get a job I'll more than likely am going to be busy throughout the week, if not I'll continue working on the pack at my full pace.
Prototstar
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Prototstar »

Interview went well, expecting a follow-up interview. :D

Anyways, here's a screenie. This pack now has abundant of floor and wall texture. I should start focusing on outdoor environment and also the much-needed doors.
Prototstar
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Prototstar »

Found out why the normalmap wasn't sticking out enough; turned out the ambient lighting was the same as environment lighting. Anyways, new concrete walls. Also made a dozen of other texture including ceilings.

Server Cabinet Prop
SANICADVENTURE2
Polygon
Polygon

Post by SANICADVENTURE2 »

Those textures have a good look!

Anything new to show?