THANKS!

Obsidian General.
intrigue
Vertex
Vertex

THANKS!

Post by intrigue »

Thanks for deleting Obsidian Conflict from my computer. Yeah I still run XP SP2. But the tower is newer with lots of RAM and a Nvidia video card. I use it mostly for gaming with lots of Steam games. All worked great until yesterday when Steam forced an update. Then POOF Obsidian Conflict--GONE!
I've been an OC gamer from the very beginning, So Thanks Again. -intrigue
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: THANKS!

Post by Shana »

Not sure what you're getting at, but OC is not distributed via Steam so there is no way for us to delete it from your computer. Maybe the Steam update broke something else.
intrigue
Vertex
Vertex

Post by intrigue »

So Shana, why won't OC launch? I get to the launch screen then OC crashes. Coincidentally, it happened right after a routine Steam Update. That which usually screws up multiple games that require re-installs to restore them to function again. I tried to run my OC installer program previously downloaded with no results. So I go to OC.net website and download the latest one and it will not run. All other HL2 & HL1 games and mounts work as installed. Steam always seems to affect non-Steam games for some reason. So Shana I am open to suggestions. Regards -intrigue
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Try to verificate the cache of Source SDK Base 2007, then of all the games you are going to mount. Delete the obsidian folder and place a new one rather than just overwrite it.

It is possible you might get two errors while loading the main menu on launch, but you can close them without problems. The current public version is very old and due how bugged is Source 2007, prone to bugs and crashes.

BTW you should move from WinXP. Both Windows and Steam not longer support it, and I wouldn't be surprised if this problem is related to it.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

intrigue
Vertex
Vertex

Post by intrigue »

So I have done a complete delete and clean install of OC with the same results. I have Source SDK Base 2006, 2007,2013 single and multiplayer installed and verified. All HL2 games and mounts that OC is based on and uses are installed, up to date, verified, and all launch and run normally as designed. My gaming tower is an overclocked and water cooled i5 with 16 GB of RAM, PCIe Nvidia video card, 500GB SSD. All are working well. I still get Windows Updates through 2019 as I use a server based Windows XP. As far as Steam is concerned if any Steam game says XP compatible it will continue to run. I have found many new Steam games that are not. I am not worried as I have over 70 games that all play now. The one exception being Obsidian Conflict. This is the second time since OC was launched that I have had to resort to asking for assistance. So you can see I have had little trouble for approximately 10 years of maintaining software and hardware. XP was chosen do to issues with subsequent versions of Windows being unreliable for some time now. Many times I have attended LAN gaming parties and all are impressed with my PC tower. It even was able to go head to head with an Area 51 Alienware PC, that was about 5,500 dollars to assemble from Dell. So something strange is occurring that has me stumped. Regards -intrigue
intrigue
Vertex
Vertex

Post by intrigue »

Oh BTW, are there any launch options that you know of I can try to help debug OC? -intrigue
intrigue
Vertex
Vertex

Post by intrigue »

So I did a full delete of Steam and Obsidian Conflict again and a fresh reinstall of both with the same results of all Steam games working normally and Obsidian Conflict goes to game screen menu briefly then crashes. I am still waiting to hear back from anyone with some technical expertise or knowledge to assist me. It is hard to believe that there is no one on the development team interested in helping. Steam forums paint a dismal picture of the future of Obsidian Conflict. I am a supporter of Obsidian Conflict mod from the beginning. -intrigue
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Actually we are helping you and we are part of the team, the thing is that we are pretty much nowadays in Discord: https://discord.gg/6FSw7Qp

I'm still wondering why you prefer to stick with WinXP rather than move into Win8 or directly Win10 with such beast of rig. I'm sure that's the problem.

Check the following two articles to check if there's something in your system that is interferying with Steam and how to run Valve games / mods on safe mode:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -SFLZ-9289

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -JMTZ-0860
Last edited by Neico on Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: new discord invite link

Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

One thing you could try would be to install the original 1.35 because I'm not sure if the hotfixes even work on XP, you can still find it on ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/obsidian-conf ... -installer
intrigue
Vertex
Vertex

Post by intrigue »

I am glad everyone is helping. Right now it tuition housing vehicle food. So if there is any extra it will be an Area 51 Alienware, sometime in the future. The hotfix worked somewhat for me but there are a few maps that are still black and purple polygons. Not having a patch/fix installer to take care of that pretty much killed the mod. Not all gamers are computer programmers. XP server is still working and supported until 2019, plus I use the Works Suite for school work plus side jobs of typing and printing. Alot of friends have the same setup due the $$$$ for the newest MS software. I can remember when Obsidian Conflict had 20+ servers to choose from. Just trying to support the Mod as best I can. I just was giving a heads up on possible trouble with Steam Updates. It wouldn't be the first time that multiple re-installs were needed to "correct" Steam Updates. Funny, how official Steam games get re-patched right away with new immediate updates. I'm sorry and apologize if anyone was put off and I am deeply grateful for everyone's involvement. Especially Shana ;) -intrigue
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

The hotfix worked somewhat for me but there are a few maps that are still black and purple polygons.
Which maps? If you have mounted all the supported games you shouldn't be able to have problems with any of the official and custom maps ( unless the custom content of these maps have been lost which in this case the mistake is from the server admin ).

Glad to hear that at least you managed to make it work, we are working hard to release the new version and get past the pretty much obsolete 1.35.

intrigue
Vertex
Vertex

Post by intrigue »

I think it is a server problem as they are custom maps exclusive to those servers. They still launch and run though. Still having no luck but installer downloads and runs normally. At the end of install I get an error message. I have a screen shot of it. Not sure how to upload. Don't see anything to click for it. -intrigue